2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

External monitor not working via USB Type-c

14-cf1506sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchsed (HP Notebook - 14-cf1506sa) and I have been having troubles getting an external monitor to work from the USB Type-C port, I have updated Windows 10 to the latest version, installed the latest drivers from Intel and HP support, I have repeatedly reinstalled the drivers on device manager, as the monitor comes up as an error, tried updating the drivers in any way I can and have come up with nothing.

The HDMI port successfully allows one external monitor as expected, but the USB Type-C to HDMI cable I am trying to use which uses the Display Port Alt protocol cannot display the monitor, I have changed monitors and tried the cable on another laptop that successfully runs a monitor from USB Type-C and the monitor and cable both work.

I have tried to research if the Notebook actually has the Display Port Alt protocol to allow Type-C to be used for a monitor but I cannot find that information anywhere, I have checked the entire documentation and looked online and there is nothing, all I found was on Curry's the product description does mention that the USB Type-C can be used in this way, however that is a single source. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Spirit92
Level 4
62 61 10 14
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting, This unit USB-C port supports data transfer only and doesn't support display port.

specs link: here

External ports
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 HDMI 1.4b. 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Kind Regard,

Thumbs up and accept solution if solved

Joe367
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Thank you for the quick response, that was my fear, is it possible to get an external device which can plug into the type-c and give an HDMI output, so I could run a normal HDMI from monitor to device, then to the type-c, assuming the device would be able to act in such a way. 

If not, what would you recommend the best solution to be?, it's for work so I need the 2 larger external monitors to multi task. Returning the notebook is the last resort since I have already set up my work programs on it. 

Thank you again for the help! 
0 Kudos
Spirit92
Level 4
62 61 10 14
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi Joe,

Well, since the USB-C port does not have the display port function "DP" no matter what device you get it won't work with USB-C port. I'm sorry for that but this is how the port works there are different versions of the port and some of them have DP and some don't.

However you can try to get a HDMI splitter but I am not sure of the functionality of that one and how the unit will react to it.

Regards,

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation