Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
14-cf1506sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchsed (HP Notebook - 14-cf1506sa) and I have been having troubles getting an external monitor to work from the USB Type-C port, I have updated Windows 10 to the latest version, installed the latest drivers from Intel and HP support, I have repeatedly reinstalled the drivers on device manager, as the monitor comes up as an error, tried updating the drivers in any way I can and have come up with nothing.

The HDMI port successfully allows one external monitor as expected, but the USB Type-C to HDMI cable I am trying to use which uses the Display Port Alt protocol cannot display the monitor, I have changed monitors and tried the cable on another laptop that successfully runs a monitor from USB Type-C and the monitor and cable both work.

I have tried to research if the Notebook actually has the Display Port Alt protocol to allow Type-C to be used for a monitor but I cannot find that information anywhere, I have checked the entire documentation and looked online and there is nothing, all I found was on Curry's the product description does mention that the USB Type-C can be used in this way, however that is a single source. 

Any help would be really appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting, This unit USB-C port supports data transfer only and doesn't support display port.

specs link: here

External ports
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 HDMI 1.4b. 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Kind Regard,

Thumbs up and accept solution if solved

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Thank you for posting, This unit USB-C port supports data transfer only and doesn't support display port.

specs link: here

External ports
1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 HDMI 1.4b. 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Kind Regard,

Thumbs up and accept solution if solved

HP Recommended
Thank you for the quick response, that was my fear, is it possible to get an external device which can plug into the type-c and give an HDMI output, so I could run a normal HDMI from monitor to device, then to the type-c, assuming the device would be able to act in such a way. 

If not, what would you recommend the best solution to be?, it's for work so I need the 2 larger external monitors to multi task. Returning the notebook is the last resort since I have already set up my work programs on it. 

Thank you again for the help! 
HP Recommended

Hi Joe,

Well, since the USB-C port does not have the display port function "DP" no matter what device you get it won't work with USB-C port. I'm sorry for that but this is how the port works there are different versions of the port and some of them have DP and some don't.

However you can try to get a HDMI splitter but I am not sure of the functionality of that one and how the unit will react to it.

Regards,

HP Recommended

Hi Spirit92 / Praveen196,

If what you're saying is correct, then the laptop's datasheet is misleading. It states:

"Power your device or connect to an external display from just one USB-C™ port with 5 Gb/s signaling rate. And it's reversible, so you never have to worry about plugging in upside down."

Is there any other way of confirming definitively whether the USB-C port does or doesn't support HDMI/VGA?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@avwwva

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Echo_Lake

Sure - the product number is 7BS53EA#ABU

The datasheet is available here: http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/getpdf.aspx/c06299245.pdf

Thanks

HP Recommended

@avwwva

Thank you for posting back. 

After reading your post, I did go through the Product specifications of your product and found that you have 1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 1 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Data transfer only); 1 HDMI 1.4b. 1 RJ-45; 1 headphone/microphone combo installed on the PC.

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have a HP ZBook Studio G4 Mobile Workstation, with 2-off USB C ports. I have successfully been using these ports, via 2-off USB C to HDMI Type C Thunderbolt cables, to connect 2 external monitors. All was fine and functioned without issue.

These now do not work and the displays are not recognised.

I have tried BIOS upgrades, Thunderbolt installations and updates... along with the basic Windows 10 multi-display set-ups.

None of these work.

Why is this now the case and what has changes either with the HP configuration or a Windows 10 driven update?

HP Recommended

I have had this same issue on two separate occasions this week, 4 days apart.  The first time (Monday AM), my external display just started working, after several un-plug/re-plug of the USB C, over nearly an hour of fussing with it, the display started working again..  It's doing it again this morning, Friday AM. Not sure what the cure was Monday, hoping for the same today.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.