Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I'm having trouble connecting my spectre x360 to my external monitor via the miniDP port.  I have bought a miniDP to DVI adapter to connect to the monitor.

When I try to use the "Project" menu in Windows I get no output to the other monitor (on all options in the menu).

When I go to the graphics card settings (Intel HD5500) and navigate to the multiple display option I only have a 1 monitor option.

I have updated all the graphics drivers.

Can anyone help me set this up?

Maybe something in the BIOS is turned off or any special settings in Windows that I'm missing?

Thank you

Eliraz

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @elirazb,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy 

It is a terrific place to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide:

Learn How to Post and More.

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? 

I understand that you are experiencing a difficulty connecting to an external monitor.

Have you done all your Windows updates?

Have you run the  HP Support Assistant  to acquire any HP updates?

Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV (Windows 10, 😎 that may also help.

Please let me know the outcome.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your answer although I am still at loss.

I have installed all updates available through HP Assistant and Windows Update.

I do not have a multiple display menu in my advanced dispay settings.   The duplicate option in the Project feature of Windows 10 does nothing as well as the other options in that menu.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi @elirazb,

Thank you for the update.

What is your exact model of Spectre x360?

The option for mulitple  displays may not be available until Windows has detected another monitor is attached.

Have you tried using a different adapter?

Is there another port on the notebook you could try?

Does the external monitor work when connected to another computer?

Have you tried using a different cable?

Please keep me updated to your progress.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

My model is 4002dx.  

I do not know if this option becomes available only once another display is deteced, if that is the case then maybe something is wrong with the miniDP port?

My external monitor works fine with other computers with the same cable (without the adapter).  My HDMI out port on the laptop works fine with my TV without any special requirements... Once I connect to the TV via HDMI it automatically duplicates the screen with out any menus needed.

HP Recommended

Hi @elirazb,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that your external monitor works fine when connected to a different computer using the same cable.

If you connect the external monitor  via HDMI on your Spectre does it work?

Have you tried a different adapter?

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have the same problem. I have an external monitor connected through HDMI through a StarTrch.com HDMI to VGA adapter. The only thing that solves my problem is taking out the plug and then inserting it again. This is quite annoying. Is there any other way I can force external display? Windows key+ P doesn't work.

Thank you very much for your help!

My computer:   Hewlett Packard HP Spectre Pro x360 G1 Core i7-5600U / 8GB 256GB-SSD 13.3in QHD Win8.1

HP Recommended

I have a new Spectre x360 (i7-7500U 2.7 GHZ; 512 GB SSD; 16 GB RAM with 2 USB-C Ports).  I had the same problem trying to connect my monitor (LG Flatron IPS235) using a j5 USB Type-C Multi-Adapter via HDMI.  Windows 10 would not recogize my monitor.  I tried the following recommendations that I learned here and on other web sites:

- updating all software

- removing McAfee

- trying different cables

Unfortunately, none of the above worked.  I noted the below post where another person had some luck by unplugging and replugging the screen.  This worked intermittently for me but only if I unplugged the adapter from the computer (i.e. unplugging the HDMI from the monitor did not routinely improve the situation).

I should note that the j5 adapter is designed to allow the HP power cord to deliver electricity through it and then onto the UBS-C port.  I bypassed this arrangement and plugged the HP Power Pack directly into one laptop USB-C port and plugged the j5 into the other laptop port.  This immediately fixed the problem.  My monitor is now recognized and works without any problems.

HP Recommended

How can you plug the power cord through USB? My powercord  connects through the designated round opening.

HP Recommended

UBS-C allows this type of arrangement since it's both a power source and a peripheral connection.  Rather than me trying to explain it with words, it's best seen in a good diagram on the adapter's site:

http://j5create.com/our-products/usb-hub/jca374.html

However as mentioned above, setting it up per the adapter diagram caused similar monitor detection difficulties.  I needed to use both of my USB-C ports: one directly for power and the other for the adapter (with peripherals and monitor).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.