Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Yes I have the same problem and and don't have any idea how to solve that....
HP Recommended
Yes I have the same problem and so far no idea how to solve it.....
HP Recommended

@Paulo4, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

Did you try using a higher capacity charger and does the issue persist?

If the issue still persists try performing a complete system recovery on your PC.

Refer this article to know how to perform a system recovery on your PC.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP phone support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have made a clean install of windows 10. Nvidia just released an update for MX150 drivers 2 days ago. Neither of them solves the issue. I highly doubt the problem lies with the software and drivers.

After taking a look at other similar models, it seems that the HP pavilion 14-bf126TX, which has an i7-8550u and GTX 940mx (TDP pretty similar to that of MX150), has a 90W AC adapter... 

Right now, my speculation would be either inadequete power from the 65W adapter, or probably a bug in the BIOS.

I have contacted HP support and they will be arranging an onsite visit in a few days time. Apparantly they may be replacing the processor (probably along with the motherboard too) with a new one, which I highly doubt is the root cause of this. 

I will request them to bring along a 90W adapter too for ease of troubleshooting too.

Will keep all of you updated on what their technician/engineer say about this.

Could I also trouble you all to keep this thread updated if you happen to test the 90W adapter 🙂 ?

Thanks a lot!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the effort you are putting in to this, @UserinDistress!

The HP support are sending me a new "more powerful" charging adapter today. They didn't metion what specification it will have, but I'll update you guys when I receive it.

HP Recommended

@UserinDistress, thanks for your quick response and time.

Sure I will keep this thread updated. If you have any queries. 

Please reply back to this thread.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did further testing and tweaking using an application known as Throttlestop.

I noticed that whenever the FPS drops down to 20, the "TDP Throttle" circle shown in Throttlestop lights up, and under "Limit Reasons", something known as "BD PROCHOT" is activated as well. Clock speeds of both GPU and CPU reduce significantly.

"BD PROCHOT stands for bi-directional processor hot. This is a 2 way signal path to the CPU. It allows other components in a laptop like the motherboard or GPU to send a signal to the CPU which tricks the CPU into thinking it is too hot."

I chanced upon this article on reddit too...

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/39wmrw/throttlestop_prochot_and_you/

The BD PROCHOT sign still appears even when it is disabled via Throttlestop.

Still, I highly doubt that HP is limiting the CPU temperature to only 80*C.. Anyway, FPS drops occur even when CPU temps are around 70*C. I had also read another post in HP forum saying that the MX150 GPU throttles at 67*C in their HP Envy, but FPS drops occur when the GPU is at 59*C... 

After I unchecked the box for turbo boost (hence locking the processor speed at 1.6GHz) - now the FPS stays constant while charging. The CPU consumes not more than 8W of power (Usually it will be 15W when running the benchmark), and CPU temperatures remain at 60*C. 

Right now, I'm more or less convinced that either

1. the motherboard is faulty 

2. there's a bug in the BIOS (hence probably the reason why BD PROCHOT is being falsely activated)

3. there isn't sufficient power being supplied to both chips to run at maximum frequencies

sigh..

HP Recommended

@UserinDistress, Thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned you ran a benchmark test from a third party software and the bi-directional processor test is hot.

As I mentioned in my previous thread you might have to use a higher capacity charger on your PC and check if the issue persists.

Also, let the engineer replace the system board on your PC if the issue still persists after replacing the parts we can get the case escalated to next level.

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@berbelurb wrote:

@thanks for the effort you are putting in to this, @UserinDistress!

The HP support are sending me a new "more powerful" charging adapter today. They didn't metion what specification it will have, but I'll update you guys when I receive it.

How was it?

HP Recommended
They just sent it out on Friday. Expect to receive it midweek.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.