Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

My screen flickers repeatedly, usually from the bottom half downwards. This can go on for hours and usually stops with the scroll of the mouse but starts immediately afterwards. When the notebook is plugged via HDMI, the flickering stops but once off HDMI, it starts again. I just got it in April and it makes using the notebook really annoying...I can't keep it plugged to HDMI everytime.

38 REPLIES 38
HP Recommended

@AOnanuga

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the screen on your HP Spectre x360 flickers repeatedly,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

What HDMI connection are you referring to? is that an external monitor?

And is it the flickering on your laptop that stops or the monitor that doesn't have the flickering issue?

While you respond to that, here're a few things you need to do:

Please reduce or change the screen refresh rate to identify a difference:

1. Right-click the desktop and click Display settings.
  2. Under Customize your display, at the bottom, click Advanced display settings.

3. Under Related Settings, click Display adapter properties.

4. Select the Monitor tab.

5. Under Screen refresh rate, select another refresh rate if available.

6. Click OK to save the changes.

If the issue persists, please follow the steps suggested on this link: http://hp.care/2sQmwBR

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Pls go to HP driver support page to download the latest Intel HD Graphics driver  under Driver-Graphics category and have a try.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-bl000-x360-convertible-pc/13823372/mo...

I work for HP. I'm here to help!

ET1111. I work for HP; I'm here to help
HP Recommended

I bought a Spectre x360 3 weeks ago, the screen started flickerg Exactly like AOnanuga descrbed.  The bottom half ofe the screen flickers, and kind of starts and stops as I touch the touch pad.  I'm a PC person, I'm sure there is some kind of driver issue, but I litteraly just bought this, and hadn't planned on tinkering with this machine yet.  Later that day the Camera, stopped working, and had a green overlay over it's video, and eventually tuned into a white and black flicker to anyone watching video I was showing.  (I took Video evidence of all of this, in case HP, gave me a problem). I called support, they asked I send it back to them for repair (A 3 WEEK old product).  The "claim" to have replaced the screen, and updated drivers.

After 4 days, I got the laptop back, the camera was working fine, but the screen still flickerd if I touched the touchpad the rightway.  I believe this to be an issue with the 4K card.  Since HP support, nor HP has any idea what this issue is (even though, customer after customer have reported this issue), I've decided to send the Spectre x360 back for a full refund.  If I can't get effective support on your product, then the product isn't worth the box it's shipped in.

Although the product is not as feature rich, I'm going with the Yoga 910, as its a solid device.

HP Recommended

This didn't help. Screen still flickers.   HP customers are complaining about post production issues, (lick this screen flicker) that are not being addressed by the HP business Unit (BU) who owns the product.  HP needs to listen to their user base (and trust its users). 

HP Recommended

This didn't help. Screen still flickers.   HP customers are complaining about post production issues, (lick this screen flicker) that are not being addressed by the HP business Unit (BU) who owns the product.  HP needs to listen to their user base (and trust its users).

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with a brand new laptop but this stops when I disconnect the power unit and run from battery. Have  tried a different power unit - the new apple macbook pro which has same USB-C connection with similar power rating - and this seemed to work but I did have plugged into HDMI at the time so will re-try. Anyway, will update when I do but definitely cured for me when  I removed the power supply.

HP Recommended

In my case I have this same issue with a spectre x360 13' in second  use  (first use was less than an hour for doing a web-checkin) the screen started flickering and never went away (never mind if it was plugged in or not), indeed some hours later after the issue, the display stopped working at all !!

It was a custom made HP spectre (4k, 16gb ram, i7 7th gen, 512 gb m2...the perfect laptop...) that took 2 weeks to be built (in HP china), indeed HP told me the build process takes 2 weeks since they have almost a week of quality assurance. 

Lucky for me I was still in the 30-day money back warranty and got my money back.

YMMV...but in my case I will not buy this kind of product again. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a Kaby Lake Spectre x360, and after updating the Intel 620 graphics driver, I had the same issue: a fairly faint, slight but noticable flickering that's difficult to unsee once you've seen it. It doesn't start immediately after starting the machine, but maybe after an hour or so of using it, and it's especially noticable on a dark gray background. 

However, I think I've managed to solve it.

1. Update your graphics driver just in case. You can do this by taking these steps:

Right click Windows 10 start button -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters (go a level deeper) -> Right-click Intel (R) HD Graphics 620 -> Properties -> Driver -> Update Driver. I now have version 22.20.16.4815

This updating actually didn't help for me (in fact, after this I actually first noticed the issue in the first place), but it's probably good to be up-to-date, especially if you already have this issue anyway.

Now for the real fix:

2. Right-click on your desktop and choose Intel Graphics Settings

3. Choose Power

4. Disable Panel Self Refresh, both for "On Battery" and for "Plugged in"

5. Hit Apply

6. You can now close this settings screen.

This should solve the issue you're having. Let me know if it helped! By the way, this is more of a general issue with Panel Self Refresh than an HP specific issue: if you look around with Google, you'll find many people are having flickering issues due to this Panel Self Refresh, which is just a power saving feature that's not really required. It happens on Lenovo too, and even on different operating systems like Linux. 

- Niek

HP Recommended

Sadly Niek's solution doesn't work for me. 

Brand new Coffee Lake Spectre x360 saw flickering, updated Intel 620 driver, flicker massively worse. Doesn't start immediately but within a hour of use. Even then intermittent and random but when bad its so bad the machine is not usable.

Disabling panel self-refresh makes absolutely no difference.

Does seem like a driver issue, not yet seen the flicker when booted into Linux, and even seems stable in tablet mode but as a Windows laptop is not usable.

Dave

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.