Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Yeah, I'm still happy that I have a functioning system once again.  THNXS to you bruv!

But never one to leave well alone.  I impulsively manually ran Windows Update and worst, didn't monitor the update process. So the system went ahead and attempted to install all of the identified updates (I think it was thru Build 1809?).  That did not go so well for me as I ended up having to cold start my system when I got a black screen for like 10 minutes. Then the fun began....

The system won't boot with my USB hub connected. And when I boot successfully without it connected, a couple of the external USB HDs I have attached are no longer recognised by the system.  Finally when I go into System Update it tells me, it was not able to complete the full update and that I can Retry:

1. A winver readout tells me I have Version 10.0 (Build 10240)

2. Looking at WIndows' Update History I see that the following failed:  

a.  Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.301.746.0)

b.  Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB4056254)

c.  Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809

I see options to:

a.  Uninstall updates

b.  Uninstall latest preview build

And of course I can Retry the Updates that failed

What do you think?  p.s.  I created a Restore Point, yesterday, right after I got the system up and running (and with the Intel Graphics Driver running fine)

Sorry if I'm taking up an ungodly amount of your time.  Beers on me if we ever run into each other in the same city some day

Gar

HP Recommended

Yikes is all I can say...

You are on the original build of W10 - 10240.

The updates are for v1809, which is probably what is causing the issue.

I'm thinking you can do what I recommended, don't do any updates, and just go to the intermediate build by making a dvd, or throw caution to the wind, and click on the blue Update Now button at the link below, and go right to v1903 from where you are now if it will let you.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then you can let it do any updates once you are at v1903.

HP Recommended

Hey Paul

Another update for yah:  Everything right now is golden!

I was able to update my Windows installation all the way thru the 1809 Release.  Basically I just retried the failed installations from yesterday and was careful and patient in letting it do its work (I disconnected the USB hub before installing the Updates)

I'll keep this Build for a couple weeks at least before moving to the 1903 Build

THNXS again for all your assistance!

Cheers!

Gar

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gar.

Please post back and let us know what happens when you eventually try to update to v1903.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.