Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8570w
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

While I was working couple of days ago, my external monitor suddenly went black. I was using hdmi to displayport converter in order to connect monitor to my laptop. However, even though I have bought a new converter and a new hdmi cable, it is still not working.

The interesting part is when I disconnected the cable from my laptop, monitor says "please connect the cable". However, when I connect the cable again, it waits for a while and says "no video output" and when I disconnect, it again says "please connect the cable".

So I believe that it is not purely a hardware issue but yet I can get no signal to displayport even if I use linux boot cd, 

reinstall drivers or reinstall windows.

Any help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

P.S. my graphics card is Nvidia quadro k2000m and I am mainly using my computer for CAD and CAE simulations for designing ships. So larger screen is a must for me.  My external screen is 27" full hd philips gioco. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please advise me if you have any idea or experience on this matter. I am on a very tight schedule to deliver my master's thesis and I really need to use an external screen.

HP Recommended

Hello Celepoven,

Since the issue is happening in both Microsoft Windows 7 and Linux, it seems to me that it may be the BIOS firmware that is causing the issue. 

Here is the link for the software support site for the EliteBook 8570w:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5257503&lang=en&cc=us

In Windows 7, along with the BIOS update, I would also suggest updating your Chipset drivers, specifically the Intel USB 3.0 Driver (International)  

I hope this helps!

I am an HP employee

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!***

#hpexpertday
HP Recommended

Hi Tiannah_m,

Thank you for your advices. I updated both bios and the USB 3.0 driver. Yet, it is still the same. I think, my displayport might have been damaged, fried or short-circuited somehow (maybe heat from cpu or heatsink may caused the damage)

I have ordered a docking station. I will try that. If it works, then it is the proof that the displayport is damaged.

I suspected that there would have been an issue at the hdmi-displayport converter but it was working before and not now. I tried different cables and conveters. Outcome is still the same.  It is most probably the displayport defect.

Thank you once again for your courtesy of sharing your thoughts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.