Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook Folio 1040 G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am using a 2013 Ultraslim Docking Station with my Elitebook 1040 G3 and have a Dell P2417H monitor. When I put my laptop on the docking station, almost without fail, the local display turns black with just the mouse cursor on it and the external display stays in sleep mode.  Most of the time, if I send the laptop to sleep, then wake it up again, the external monitor wakes up.  

Why do I have to go through this process twice EVERY time I put my laptop on the docking station? Is there anything I can do to resolve this?

I have replaced the docking station and the issue is still present. A co-worker uses the old docking station and experiences no problems.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Having a similiar issues with HP Elitebook 840G3, when redocked, the screens (including external monitors are dimmed). Rebooting resolves the issue. It happens at least a couple times a week. We use these laptops at my work. At least 5 laptops with this issue. Can't keep issuing new laptops when that doens't fix it. 

Windows 7 Professional

Bios: 1.10

Graphic Driver: 20.19.15.4457

Docking Station Firmware: 2.30

Power Settings: Controlled by GPO

Anyone find a solution to this and the screens going black yet?

HP Recommended

I suggest you update the firmware of your dock to 2.33

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=ob_181406_1

I also suggest installing the latest video driver (4483 Rev. F).

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=9789251&swItemId=ob_176908_1&swEnvOid=419...

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
HP Recommended

Joel_R

That link you have with the firmware to the docking station returns a website with nothing on it. I've also tried to get firmware updates for the 2013 slimdock via hp's support website and it says nothing found for this model.

What an annoying problem. Mine has been fine for over a year, then out of no where the laptop can't come out of sleep from the docking station. I have to either open laptop screen and close it, or slide the connector out and back in (laptop dock connector) before it will be active again. Otherwise it's just a blinking black screen with a cursor.

HP Recommended

Sorry about the dead link as it appears that the web page has moved.  The link below will take you to the FTP site where you can look at the HTML readme file for the 2.33 Slim Dock firmware update.  Read the information carefully as it explains how to install the FW update.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.html

This link will take you to the EXE FW package.  Once you are clear on how to install the update, download and install the update.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79015.exe

Another useful tool is HP Image Assistant (HPIA)

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HPIA.html

This tool is used with great frequency by HP Technical Support.  It will check your image and let you know if you need any further updates.  

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

I was able to find the 2.24 firmware from the docking station support page and under advisories. From there I ran the synaptics updater to see that I'm already on version 2.33.

I used the softpaq download manager to make sure my system was up to date.

I already did the manual bios update for 1.13. This did not fix my issue.

EDIT: Wait a minute, you said 1.16? I only show 1.13, release date July 7th 2017 available on the support page. Where is 1.16 listed?

HP Recommended

Did you edit out the 1.16 and the link for that BIOS? I refreshed the page and no longer see it.

HP Recommended

I removed the 1.16 because that was for an 840 G3 and not for the original post of a 1040 G3.  I didn't want to confuse people since the original system mentioned in this email thread is a 1040 G3.

What notebook are you using and do you know what BIOS version is installed?

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Elitebook 1040 G3. I have the latest firmware of 1.13 installed.

This exact issue is happening on two different elitebook 1040 G3s using the HP Slimdock, with dual monitors using display port.

HP Recommended

Good.  You are current on your BIOS.  

What monitors do you have attached?

Are the monitors connecting via DP cables or are there adapeters on the cables?

More things to attempt

1) Can you attach the montor using a VGA cable?  Trying to see if we have a DP issue.

2) Does the issue happen if you are only using 1 DP monitor?  Trying to see if this a dual monitor issue.

3) Do you have any other Ultraslim docks and does this issue occur on the oher docks as well?

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.