Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all

I have attached a photo of 2 x 840 G5s placed next to each other. As you can see, the one on the right has a darker, creamy shade. I have tried uninstalling the driver and getting it from HP website, the brightness is maxed out, tried updating windows and all and yet no luck.

I have come across 20+ laptops which have the same issue. Is this something well known? The difference is really disturbing for the eyes when you need to work in front of a laptop with this issue.

Would this be a panel issue (backlight not working properly) or is it software related and I am missing something out? Any tip/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

AndyIMG_169667.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Andre2000 

I think HP needs to work on BIOS of the Elitebook 840 G5 series. We have screen problem which I posted in IC forum. I will move it out IC sometimes next month (August) because I'm waiting more info from HP.

I tried to update to latest BIOS, latest Intel video ... but still no luck.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Thank you for your reply. Are you positive this is a BIOS related issue? I need to narrow it down because what I am afraid is that soon users will start seeing the difference themselves, I have no solution and might end up raising hundreds of RMAs

HP Recommended

Has a solution been found for this? I noticed that my 840 G5 also has a dim display and when I had a chance to compare it against another 840 G5 it indeed turned out to be a lot dimmer; even though both laptops were at maximum brightness.

P1000286s.jpg

HP Recommended

@BramT 

After more than one month with new BIOS and new Video driver, won't fix the problem. I called HP yesterday and hope they will come to my place today to work this out (my machine has 3-3-3 onsite warranty with 24hr next business day). I will post back the result later.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

Thank you for getting back on the issue. I hadn't found a fix myself yet, I might have to call HP to come over to my workplace as well, I'm pretty confident these are not isolated cases

HP Recommended

@Andre2000 

I contacted HP twice, with my post (sorry it is on IC board, you may not be able to see) a Technician came to my place last week and he decided to replace the screen itself.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

@Banhien, thank you, will attempt to do the same and will come back once I have an update. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.