Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 845 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

We have had several issues with the HP Elitebook 835,845, 855 G7 and also some G8 models where we pushed out a critical bios update and suddenly display over USB-C stopped working. We have tried every solution we can think of. What works consistently is a power cycle fix where we unplug cables, turn off the device, hold the power button for 30 seconds, power it on, insert USB-C cable. Then you get display until you plug it out and in again. Sometimes only one of the USB-C ports works as well, but both USB-C ports are compatible to give power and display. 

• Tried disabling power saving mode on the affected screens, changing KVM Mode, USB-C Modes and changing between High Res and High Performance modes
  • Updated all drivers through HP Support Assistant as well as through the website. Also tried rollback of bios and update of bios
  • Gone through bios settings and enabled High Resolution support
  • Tried both USB-C compatible inputs on the laptops
  • Using the official USB-C cable that came with the actual monitor. Also tried different cables.
  • Tried with USB-C and power connected
  • Tried multiple different monitors, same result (Common for all is high resolution. 5120x1440@60Hz)

Must be others who have had this issue? This is beating my head in.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Fixed in newest version 1.12.00 (Rev A) released 3 days ago. Tested on multiple models and monitors on the G7 series.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello @Avean 

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community.

Please, contact your local HP Support  >> https://support.hp.com/no-no/contact

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

We’ve got the same issue with 845 G7’s that have been flashed. Will open a ticket with HP but please post any info you may find or hear from Hp.  We’ve tried everything you have as well, including different brand docks, but clearly the problem is on the laptop side. 
Btw, these models will also get caught in a BSOD loop if the Realtek audio driver isn’t up to date before flashing.  Really sloppy for a corporate grade laptop.

HP Recommended

Have had a HP technician gone through bios settings and using they're HP Cloud Image with included HP supported drivers and still issues. Whats interesting is that it not only affects display, but also memory sticks through USB-C stop working. But its not the port itself that gets deactivated cause it is charging the laptop + you can see devices connected through the displays USB ports.

I think they will escalate the issue further today. Tried everything i can do client side right now.

HP Recommended

Just an update, i dont think this has anything to do with USB-C Alt Mode although you of course will notice an issue with the screen first. But even other USB-C devices like ethernet adapters and memory sticks wont work. 

Also ruled out any management issues from our part since ive tried setting up the laptops with HP own cloud recovery image with fully updated drivers and bios. No go. 

Power recycle seems to work as a workaround, and is also needed whenever you do a bios update which is kinda bad cause we want automatic bios updates for our users. Its crazy if nobody else is experiencing this, or we had a bad batch of laptops.

HP Recommended

@Avean 

Hi,

Have you tried updating to the recently released BIOS 01.11.00 ?

Please, visit https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers to download and install it.

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Issue still there with the 01.11.00. It looks like the issue is with the newest USB-C Controller Firmware that came with a previous bios update. Cant rollback to an older version of the USB-C Controller. I have a support case with HP so they are looking into it. 

HP Recommended

Found an older G7 device with USB-C Controller Firmware 1.5.0.0. No issues. Display, usb devices working perfectly. Updating to 1.6.0.0 and everything breaks again.

As long as HP can provide a way to rollback this version it would be great.

HP Recommended

have you heard something new about this issue? I recently opened a business case, but HP is unable to reproduce the problem in their lab environment.

HP Recommended

Any answer yet? I just got this issue recently and am stuck.

Update: Tried the holding the power button down for 30 seconds and it worked! I know its not a permanent fix, but temporary is better than none.

Thanks guys and girls for getting me this far- it is appreciated as I was starting to give up hope!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.