Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13-ad112TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My product specifications are https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-envy-13-ad100-laptop-pc/16851062/model/18128930/document/c05...

The USB Type C ports are stated to be DP-1.2, presumably referring to DisplayPort. As I understand it, that means I can output displays through them, though they're not TB3 (Thunderbolt) compatible.

I have two Type C dongles, one for VGA and one for HDMI. Only the VGA one works, while the HDMI one does not show anything when connected.

Is Type C to HDMI supported?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello, @ngoonee – Hope you are well 🙂

Thank you for becoming an HP Forum member. It is a fantastic location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are trying to connect the USB C to HDMI. I am afraid that this setup will not work as only the USB Thunderbolt port supports USB - HDMI port.

Since the port that you are using is not thunderbolt compatible, it will not help you to connect to the HDMI.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

What is the DP1.2 support on type c then? And why does USB to VGA work?

HP Recommended

I quote from your advertising material:-

UK website http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/offer.aspx?p=c-envy-laptop-range

Dual display support laptop
Add a second external display for a more immersive computing experience. Supporting up to two 4K monitors, you can increase your productivity, or just make multitasking easier.

Malaysian website (where I purchased) http://www8.hp.com/my/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=18128777

Dual 4K support

Complete with all the ports necessary for an immersive dual 4K set up, get an expansive entertainment or productivity experience by easily connecting two external 4K displays.

USB-C™

Power your device, transfer up to 5Gbs of data, or connect to an external display all from just one USB-C™ port. And it's reversible, so you never have to worry about plugging in upside down.21,22

I have found several threads where you inform your customers that their laptop (post purchase) does not support display over Type C. If this is actually the case, the above links are false advertising and I expect that HP will find a fix so that the laptop I purchased actually can do what it says on the advert.

HP Recommended

Hello, @ngoonee

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

There's THREE 'HP Support Agents' who have said the same thing about escalating my concern to my regional support team. Dvortex, JacksonTech, and JeffHelp. The latter two requested my contact details, which I've provided to them.

I have given it 5 business days (Monday to Friday) and have not received any contact at all. Part of the reason I purchased HP over my normal go-to brand of Asus was HP's reputation for better customer support. What's happened to that?

HP Recommended

And after more than a week, I have a local CS agent calling me. Very polite, very quick to email for details and respond as well. Thanks to Janet.

She confirms that this should be an adapter issue, so I will purchase a new one and try it out. This makes more sense than the initial response I got here by Dvortex that my machine simply does not support DP (as opposed to ThunderBolt).

When this is finally resolved I'll update here, but if what Janet says is true, HP's online CS agents should be careful with being technically accurate, especially since they're basically telling me their own product is not capable of something that it can do!

HP Recommended

Hi ngoonee,

Did you solve the problem? Was an adapter problem? I should buy an Envy 13 too but I read on the web about this issue with the USB Type C not compatible with HDMI, so I am a little concerned.

Thanks in advance for your answer 

HP Recommended

Hi Stefano1965, after purchasing a new adapter and it ALSO not working, Janet from my local HP branch was quite helpful. In the end they asked me to go over to the local HQ with my laptop and adapters in hand, and tested things out with their own HP adapter. That worked fine, as did my adapter on the EliteBook the technician was using himself.

My conclusion based on this is that the Type-C standard supported is USB Alt-Mode (DP1.2) which the adapters I bought don't seem to support. I'm not buying the HP adapter yet, as it's really quite pricey, so will return my adapters and continue to try for one with the requisite support.

At the very least I can confirm that you CAN get HDMI output from your HP Envy 13 2017 (at least from the HP adapter). Jury still out whether I'll be able to find a 3rd-party adapter which works as well.

HP Recommended

Hi ngonee... thanks for your quick answer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.