Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Product name: HP ENVY 17-j027cl Notebook PC

Product number: E0K96UA

Windows 8.1, Update 1,  64-bit

Control Panel > Display > Calibrate Color >Option No longer available

Control Panel > Display > Change Display Settings > Resolution 1600 x 900 (Recommended)

Control Panel > Display > Advanced Settings > Generic PnP Monitor and Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
- Adapter Type HD Graphics 4000
- Monitor > Generic PnP Monitor
- Color Management >
-- Set Monitor to its Native Resolution (cannot change beyond 1600 x 900)
-- Set Brightness and Contrast

intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Hue : Hue slider is set to maximum to the left (0)
intel HD Graphics Control Panel > Saturation: Slider is midscale to the right (-16)

http://www.intel.com/support/go/gfx/dl.htm

Found and attempted to apply Win64_153318.exe on Intel Graphics website for my Intel 4000 Graphics hardware. This failed to install, with error message that it is not for my system (It was clearly marked Intel  64 bit, Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.

Also found on HP Envy drivers, SP63750.exe, Version 10.18.10.3304, dated November 8, 2013. Made no noticeable change.

In some cases, I could get the color acceptable for one mode (Viewing JPG file), but unacceptable for screen display.  I tried the high contrast mode, but yuckk, made the screen really hard to follow with all those text boxes, like looking at a brick wall.

If I look at the same files with my (Win 7 Updated) Netbook mini 1101, all the graphics are really normal color and contrast. (Maybe the drivers got messed up when I had sent it on for repair to the HDD/MoBo). I haven't tried a total reset yet, it's always such a pain to do a master reset to see it is a hardware failing or not. Yechh

Any help for a reset to get my colors and contrast back to normal????

Bearly

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

First off, the only Solution Option that is available (of the four presented), is Option 3. None of the other options had those functions available), in this Envy 17 PC Laptop.

Athough I had found another Option (which maybe you can incorporate as Option 5), but remained elusive from me because during part of my solution exploratory, the Task Bar had larger Icons, and the task bar hid the "Next", "Cancel" buttons on the process pages,

The simple shortcut to my solution is: Control Panel > Display > Calibrate Color: See "Welcome to the Display Color Calibrate".   I went through the Calibrate Color Process andgotmy correct colors back.

Option 3,  Turning the "Sensor Monitor Service" defaults to a status of blank Manual (Trigger Start) shown. This option seems to be a "do nothing option". In my case, I can thank you for trying, butnone of the Options seemed to work for me.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hey bearly,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for including the troubleshooting step that you have already completed! :OpenSmile:

A link that I have found that has worked for others is, How to Turn On or Off Adaptive Brightness in Windows 8 and 8.1. Please let me know the outcome of the troubleshooting steps.

Good Luck! 🙂

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

First off, the only Solution Option that is available (of the four presented), is Option 3. None of the other options had those functions available), in this Envy 17 PC Laptop.

Athough I had found another Option (which maybe you can incorporate as Option 5), but remained elusive from me because during part of my solution exploratory, the Task Bar had larger Icons, and the task bar hid the "Next", "Cancel" buttons on the process pages,

The simple shortcut to my solution is: Control Panel > Display > Calibrate Color: See "Welcome to the Display Color Calibrate".   I went through the Calibrate Color Process andgotmy correct colors back.

Option 3,  Turning the "Sensor Monitor Service" defaults to a status of blank Manual (Trigger Start) shown. This option seems to be a "do nothing option". In my case, I can thank you for trying, butnone of the Options seemed to work for me.

HP Recommended

I just got my new HP Envy 17 and had the same problem.  In File Explorer there were no lines between the sections of the windows and the font was very scraggly.  On some windows I couldn't read the text without highlighting it with the mouse!  Going through the Clear Type text adjustment made the text a little better.  After several hours of banging my head & trying different things, I found the ONLY place where I could adjust contrast - on the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel-Display-Color Settings which I reached through Settings-Display-Advanced Display-Display Adapter Properties.  Then went through the Color calibration & back & forth a few times, playing with Gamma settings on each.  I landed on Brightness 7, Contrast 50, Gamma 0.9 on the Display Adapter Properties which seemed to allow good results on the Color calibration, and I can use the brightness keys on my keyboard without it being out-of-whack again.  Hope this helps.

HP Recommended

Hi,

There actually is a better way to do this with more adjustable settings!

Right click on the desktop and select "Graphic Properties" -> Screen -> Color settings.

Now there is two tabs here from where you can adjust everything, brightness, contrast, color vibrance etc. without going trough the tedious calibration process every time you want to change the settings. 

HP Recommended

@HPScope wrote:

Hi,

There actually is a better way to do this with more adjustable settings!

Right click on the desktop and select "Graphic Properties" -> Screen -> Color settings.

Now there is two tabs here from where you can adjust everything, brightness, contrast, color vibrance etc. without going trough the tedious calibration process every time you want to change the settings. 

Brilliant!!!    You're way of fixing my color issue worked GREAT, and it was so simple.   
Thank you for posting it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.