Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I'm glad that you found the help you needed via my post. I understand your frustration. I was stunned when I discovered that the "geek" who helped me - and who regularly services these - didn't even know about the switch.

There's a communication breakdown somewhere, isn't there? HP - please confirm that you are adding this to your virtual assistant! 

HP Recommended

On the right side of the Envy laptop there is a very small sliding switch with a very small picture of a camera with a diagonal line through it. Under the laptop is a picture showing you the position to move the switch for the webcam to be on and the position for off.

Move the little switch so the switch is in the "on" position.

It is that simple.

HP Recommended

OMG you have got to be kidding me! A kill switch!?!?!?  I searched for a solution for days. I can't get any of those hours back.

HP Recommended

Initially I tried EVERYTHING! These posts had me installing and uninstalling things when the fix is super simple!! Look on the right side of your laptop near the fan and usb port, there is a small switch for the camera that was flipped to off. Flip it to on and your video cam will work!!!! 

HP Recommended

theyellow1_0-1585663729836.png

This post was helpful & saved my bacon. Our IT manager found it & the writer was correct - of course the help should tell us it's a manual switch! How idiotic. I thought my new laptop was faulty.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this fix.

Saved my sanity.

I agree, hp should mention this.

HP Recommended

You just saved me a lot of time!!!!!! I was about to reset my windows!!!

You cant imagine how relieved I am right now!!! I  cant thank you enough!! 

HP Recommended

Thank you!!! After working with one of their reps and wiping all of my stuff off this laptop and two resets. I finally flipped the switch after reading this. I am a little upset their tech assistant didn't tell me it was equipped with a tiny switch on the side. Go figure.

HP Recommended

Glad this worked, it took me several days to figure it out, so your ahead of the curve. (although I didn’t wipe my computer clean sorry)

DaveK231_0-1585967083136.png

HP Recommended

AWESOME!!! Thank you so much.  I tried the reset and everything else to no avail.  I wish I would have scrolled down and saw your answer first.  It would have saved me a lot of time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.