Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 13 13-an0031wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have tried 3 USB-C to HDMI cables/adapters but none of them work with my HP Pavilion 13 13-an0031wm.  The HP specifications page says  it supports DisplayPort.  

1 USB 3.1 Type-C™ Gen 2 (Data Transfer up to 5 Gb/s, Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.2, HP Sleep and Charge); 2 USB 3.1 Gen 1 (1 HP Sleep and Charge); 1 HDMI 1.4; 1 headphone/microphone combo

Everytime I plug the hdmi usb-c cable in the laptop says usb device not recognized over and over again.   My usb-c thumb drive works fine so the port is working but does not seem to support video out.  

I am not sure if this is related but there is no UCSI USB Connector Manager device listed in my device manager even after a factory reset which I believe is needed for certain USB-C functions.

I am beginning to suspect HP's specifications page is incorrect.  Escpecially since when I compare my specs to other Pavilion 13-an0000 models under Product Specifications here half of the series says it suports displayport while the other half does not.  Is it common that the usb component is differant between models of the same product line?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Paul1234567 Welcome to HP Forums!

To answer your last question, yes it's common to have different USB components between models,
that said, here's all you need to know about the USB-Type C support for different adapters including the HDMI and how it works: Click here for information.

I hope that helps!

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on the post you feel, helped you the most, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Actually that is incorrect thunderbolt is not required for displayport alt mode.  Thunderbolt is an additional technology ontop of USB-C (not the otherway around).  This is how all phones(Samsung Galaxy S8,S9, LG G6.G7, etc.) and many laptops(Acer Spin, Pixelbook, this one) output video over usb-c without thunderbolt.  If the HP Pavilion 13 13-an0031wm does in fact have the USB port detailed on HP's specifications page then technically it is suppose to output video.  That is why HP specifically destinguishes USB-C ports that have Power Delivery, DisplayPort, etc. from those that do not.  

HP Recommended

@Paul1234567 My bad, that was posted in error, that said, your right about thunderbolt and as for your concern, I suggest you update the BIOS and the Chipset drivers from the HP website to check if that makes any difference since you've already reset windows: Click here to access it - Intel Serial IO Driver - Whiskey Lake (Windows 10 v1803/v1809) & the BIOS updates.

I hope that helps!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have updated every single driver/bios/firmware etc from your link.  I have also tried 2 additional adapters/cables: HP's 1BG94AA; as well as a direct usb-c to displayport cable.  Advertising this computer as displayport capable but not supporting it is unacceptable. 

HP Recommended

@Paul1234567 I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.