Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 2020 15-eb0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone, I have big Thunderbolt problems with my brand new Spectre 15.

It is the July version 2020! Biggest configuration with i7-10750H and graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Max-Q.

I have a 5k LG monitor 34WK95U-W. The graphics card should be able to run it without problems. As soon as I plug in USB-C Thunderbold from the display, the LG remains dark, but shows USB-C input, on the laptop the integrated screen flickers, gives several times sounds, like when you plug in new devices, but no picture nothing on the LG. Also not on the laptop, which remains mostly dark, only flashes briefly in between. If you unplug the USB-C, the internal screen comes back, but Thunderbolt doesn't work anymore and has to be reset. Then it works again.

I have done all hardware tests, all OK and no problems. When I connect a Samsung Thunderbolt SSD, it works fine, is shown in the Thunderbolt Conrol Center. There I have NVM firmware version 54.0, controller driver version 1.41.823.0.

I don't know if the problem is due to Intel or Win10 2004, I installed that and later read about many Thunderbolt problems.

Another problem with a Dell 4K monitor U2720Q. There USB-C or Thunderbolt works perfectly. Picture all there. Even devices, which are plugged into the Dell, are connected without problems. Only I don't have any sound on the Dell speakers. I've tested them all, they're all OK, but there's no sound, even though Dell Monitor is selected in the loudspeaker icon. Nothing. Seems to be a driver problem, too. The loudspeakers immediately work perfectly with a Lenovo laptop.

So a lot of Thunderbold problems. Is it HP and their drivers? Intel with old drivers or Windows 2004? Wait for updates? Or anyone else with an idea, maybe from HP Support? Would like to use the Spectre with the 5K LG. At the moment I'm using it with Apple MacBook Pro 16 and everything works perfectly there.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Swisshead Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: Click here for steps on finding the information we need! - This is incomplete -  HP Spectre X360 2020 15-Eb0xxx

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Not all USB ports support video conversion, so it's important to identify which port is in use and if that supports the same,

Also, if you've confirmed that it supports video conversion: click here and confirm the alt mode.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear HP Support, thank you very much for the answer.

My Spectre is as follows:HP Spectre X360 2020 15-Eb0xxx

This model should have 2 identical Thunderbolt connectors. I checked both of them, of course, but they both have the same problem. The LG monitor cannot be operated. Even if the graphics card were weak, a picture should come up. On the Lenovo, the picture comes, but in a very low resolution. Nothing on the Spectre. Monitor remains dark and the Spectre turns the monitor on and off, mostly black. Gives strange noises and after that the Thunderbolt connection is out of order. Then only a reset helps. Shut down and with Windows and B-key press the power button for 5 seconds, then they go again.

Hardware checks all done, everything OK and on green.

Must be a driver problem with Windows 10 2004 or Intel.

A solution would be great.

HP Recommended

@Swisshead

I suggest you perform a Reset and then update all the HP Drivers and Windows

Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot, but had already done a new clean install last week, as well as reloading all HP drivers. Unfortunately I loaded Windows version 2004 again.

Unfortunately it didn't help at all and didn't solve the problem.

Yes, it doesn't help at all. Windows 2004 and Thunderbolt and HP do not get along. It is probably just like that.

See now 2 variants:

1. reinstall version 1909 or
2. wait until HP, Intel, MS or anyone else releases new drivers that solve the problem

Will decide for 2, don't feel like reinstalling everything again. It's not that urgent as I only work with the Mac on the LG monitor and the HP on the Dell anyway. There the picture works, but not the sound, so for the time being you can live with that.

Could I at least ask the HP support to forward the problems to the appropriate places so that the problem can be fixed.

That would be the following problems:

- No sound via Thunderbolt and USB-C on the Dell monitor U2720Q
- No picture and massive interference via Thunderbolt and USB-C on the LG 34WK95U-W 5K monitor

Either a problem of Win2004, Intel Thunderbolt driver or with Nvidia graphics driver. It would be nice if this would be fixed sometime.

Many thanks anyway to the HP support!

HP Recommended

@Swisshead 

Help me with the product number of your computer and I will look for the appropriate drivers for your computer.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.

The product number is: 

Bildschirmfoto 2020-08-14 um 05.55.48.png

HP Recommended

Seems, that picture here makes problems:

HP Spectre x360 15-eb0922nz

Product-Number: 16X84EA#UUZ

HP Recommended

@Swisshead Thanks, that's exactly what I needed, 

I've looked for the details and here's the list of USB ports you have:

• 2 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (USB Power Delivery, DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge);
  • 1 SuperSpeed USB Type-A 10Gbps signaling rate (HP Sleep and Charge);

It looks like both USB Type-C ports support the display conversion, if you've already updated the BIOS, Graphics and Chipset drivers and gone through the ALT mode, yet that doesn't work, I suggest you check if the LG monitor is working with another computer with the same converter and if it does, while it doesn't work on this device, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.