Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 17 Laptop PC 17-c2000 (4V792AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

I bought an HP USB-C docking station based on HP Phone Support's recommendation.  My external monitor does not work with this docking station.  The monitor works when directly plugged into the computer.  The monitor and docking station work with my Macbook air (M2) so I have a bad feeling the USB-C port isn't up to the task.

Is this the case?

HP sent me another USB-C docking station and it also doesn't work.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Admranger1 

Your machine could be one of the following specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-17-laptop-pc-17-c2000/2101006332/document/ish_6516953-651710...

It ONLY has 1  USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port; 5 Gbps signaling rate (left side) port which does NOT support Alt mode nor Power Delivery. You can NOT use it to

• Charge your machine,
  • Connect to an external monitor with/without hub/dock/adapter (some hubs may have builtin chip to support this)

If you wish to connect 2 external monitors (only), you can use

• Monitor 1: HDMI direct cable,
  • Monitor 2: Using a Displaylink Certified USB-A to HDMI adapter such as

USB to HDMI Adapter

For more connectivity, please use

True Universal Docking Stations

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I wonder why HP told me to buy the USB-C docking station when it will not work with my machine for what I told them I wanted to do (e.g., hook up two external monitors)?

HP Recommended

Is there anything specific I should look for in a hub so that it will work with this laptop?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

@Admranger1 

Did you look at the last link on my reply ? You simply enter your requirements it will give a list of docks (including HP's docks) to suite your need.

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I did. It gave me the HP USB-C as one option.  Same f’n one I have that doesn’t work. 

I would not have asked had I not been given a dumb answer by the link. 

HP Recommended

I guess I'm confused.  You gave the link indicating it would select a docking station compatible with my laptop.  Why did it give the same one that I already have that is not compatible (for video)?  What inputs to the selection tool do I need to change to get a good answer?  The frustration level is high.

HP Recommended

@Admranger1 

I don't have enough money to buy them and test them all. If you wish ready to use you can buy older dock such as

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05357751

or buy a cheaper one (A$70 on eBay) which is the one I'm using

dock thinkpad.png

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Thanks.  I need HDMI though; the Lenovo one doesn't seem to have it.  The older HP one you linked does though, so I'll call them and make sure it works with my laptop.  Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.