Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6 laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to use an external monitor on this laptop. I am not technically competent, so, simple answers please.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @GeoffreyPhilip,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I see from the post that you want to know how to disable laptop screen while using an external monitor. Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of this computer? (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...) http://hp.care/2bygf7l

Was this working previously or trying to setup for the first time?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Let's start off by connecting the external monitor with the HDMI as well as go ahead and connect the external keyboard and the mouse.

You can press the Windows Key + P on your keypad - you can select external screen only.

Next thing, you would like to check is, what happens if you close the Lid of your laptop.Don't worry we can go ahead and check the settings, 

Press the Windows key + X - Click on Control panel from the list - Hardware and sound - Power options - On the top left click on Choose What closing the lid does - Now on this screen where is says When I close the Lid - Make sure you select Does nothing on battery as well as plugged. Click on Save changes and Close.

I hope this should help. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.