Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

I am really having a hard time finding the actual model DV7 notebook I have. The tag on the bottom only says DV7 and there are so many additional numbers ie: Dv7-1001, 1002 etc when u try to look up drivers. I am having a really hard time getting my Blue Ray drive to play any Blue Ray discs and need to find whatever drivers make it work after upgrading to Windows 7 64bit. Any help would be appreciated because it is really frustrating. I've tried every driver I can find from HP and Cyberlink and nothing lets me play all my discs. Mainly anything newer than 2 years ago won't play at all. The drive is spinning it and the drive shows a Blue ray in the description but it says Load disc and doesn't do anything from there. It worked perfectly until i went to Win 7. I even tried the Vista drivers in the Recovery console but still won't work.

Thank you for any help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Instructions for finding your HP P/N are here. This will help us locate resources, drivers, and identify correct parts for your specific model.

HP Recommended

Your link didn't lead to an article. I need to know if it's a dv7-7200 or dv7-7201, 7202, etc not the part number. Thanks

HP Recommended

Agreed.  I know my HPavilion dv7 serial number but can't tell which "series" it is.  1400 100 3200, entertainement or not??? If it matters for product support it should not be so hard to figure out which one it is...and if it doesn't matter (i.e. support works for all dv7's) then show that fun fact prominently 

HP Recommended

I too would love to know how so I can get the right drivers for my graphics card - haven't ever had any luck on forums like these though. Good luck to both of us!

HP Recommended

@Southern-Girl wrote:

Agreed.  I know my HPavilion dv7 serial number but can't tell which "series" it is.  1400 100 3200, entertainement or not??? If it matters for product support it should not be so hard to figure out which one it is...and if it doesn't matter (i.e. support works for all dv7's) then show that fun fact prominently 

So thanks to some snooping around and help from forum members on Reddit, I actually managed to find an answer to this.

It's on the laptop itself, underneath. On my dv7 (which I now know is a Envy dv7-7205tx) it was behind the battery. Just flip it over (either turned off or at least plugged in, obvs!), take off the battery, and underneath there's a whole lot of info including serial numbers and model numbers/classes. On some models it's on a silvery sticker apparently, but on my one t was printed directly the laptop body. From there you can google that model number (like Envy dv7-7205tx) and should be able to find out any other info you need.

HP Recommended

Why not answer the question, especially since multiple users over a period of years are asking the same question?  This is a sorry excuse for customer assistance.

And a big THANK YOU to the user (NOT HP staff) who found the answer elsewhere online and shared it.

HP Recommended

Thank you for answering a question that HP is too lazy or too incompetent to bother with.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.