Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 13.3 in
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to know if it is possible to use the physical keyboard in tablet mode. I want to use an external monitor and then fold the computer so that the keyboard is face-up, but whenever I flip the laptop more than 180 degrees, the keyboard becomes disabled. Is there a way enable the keyboard in tablet mode?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @am4210,

Thanks for stopping by the HP community. A very good day to you. 🙂 I reviewed the post regarding using the keyboard in tablet mode. I will be delighted to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and stupendous diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. :). It is greatly appreciated. 🙂

For me to assist you with accurate information I would require more information regarding this.

• Please let me know the complete model# of the computer and the operating system used.

Let me keep you informed that in the tablet mode, the computer’s keyboard is disabled and cannot be used. It is a feature of HP Hybrid notebooks that work in tablet mode also. It is to ensure that users get the complete full enhanced features of the tablet without having to use the keyboard.

Please check this link out: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04856156 it shows how to switch between tablet mode and desktop mode. The reason a tablet mode is given is to get the complete benefits of touch and also to enhance the user experience without having to use the physical keyboard.

A workaround would be is to use a portable Bluetooth keyboard by connecting a USB dongle to one of the USB ports when in tablet mode to work with it and type as a physical keyboard,

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the swift response, but I actually found a solution already: I went to Device Manager > System devices > Intel Integrated Sensor Solution and disabled that driver. The computer no longer recognizes the switch from laptop to tablet mode and leaves keyboard enabled even in the latter configuration. Thus, I am now able fold up the machine and use the keyboard while it is attached to a monitor.

Again, thanks for quick reply! Hopefully this helps others who may have a similar issue. I'm not too keen on the exact model number of my computer, though, and I'm not exactly sure where on computer I might find this.

HP Recommended

HI @am4210,

Great work. You've been simply superb to work with. I hope the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. You've done copious and splendid research on this. You gave us a brilliant solution. Kudos to you for a job well done. 🙂 The standard process when the notebook rotates through the 270-degree rotation to enable tablet mode is to disable the keyboard by default to avail the complete enhanced feature of tablet mode.

But when you disabled the driver in device manager I understand that the keyboard works correctly. Does tablet mode also work along with the keyboard? If it does you've provided the community a brilliant solution.

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. :)Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

With the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution driver disabled, the touchscreen continues to work fine in both laptop and tablet modes. I do not have a screen protector yet, so when I want to use only the keyboard with a larger monitor, I lay a couple pieces of printer paper on my desk to protect the screen and ensure that the touchscreen doesn't trigger and select something I don't want it to.

HP Recommended

@am4210

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This computer is not designed to work with the keyboard in tablet mode.

So it is not possible to use an external keyboard in tablet mode also.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am truly disappointed and even offended by this thread. A bit of thought, or even reading the coments, indicates that the user (including me) would like to plug in an external monitor, fold the PC into what is called tablet mode, with the keyboard up and use the keyboard to communicate with the PC.  In stead of admitting that this is a legitimate applicatiobn of the hardware which the developers seem to have not seen, we get smiley faces and platitudes from someone who is clearly not conversant with the hp developers AND does not even seem to recognize that there is a legitimate reason for the request. In my time in the HP lab I was often asked questions I could not answer.  I learned early on that the only right thing to do in such a case was to admitt my ignorance and, if possible, pursue finding the desired information through my contacts in the lab. If I was unable to find an answer the proper thing to do was to convay that information to the questioner so that s/he would know that I was a dead end and s/he could pursue the information somewhere else.

As to this particular question, it should be asked of someone who understands the inter workings of the keyboard and its disabling.  If you can not provide or quote such a source, its is best if you keep quite.

HP Recommended

I found a different solution:

Open Services and stop Sensor Monitoring Service first and then Sensor Service. 

(Be warned I dont know what else this will do.) It worked for me. If you want to pernanantly stop the service you'd have to do it through ms config. Just do a web search on how to disable a service through msconfig.  

The only problem i had is when you put your computer to sleep and you have to sign back in, You have to have your device open to the laptop position before you wake the computer up to type in your password with the physical keyboard. Orjust remove your password.

The Sensor Service Description says that this will also effect some other stuff like auto brightness, so this could effect some other features as well so use at your own discretion. But hey, It's your laptop. you should be able to with it as you wish.

HP Recommended

I have hp spectre, the keyboard does not function when in a normal desktop mode but when i turn to a tablet mode the keyboard functions... i need hel with that

HP Recommended

While I no longer want to use the 360 in this way, I do think the need to unfold to exit a sleep is a non-starter.  For what it is worth, I now use the 360 with an external keyboard, (360 keyboard flat down on the table) and an external monitor to extend the display to two monitors, so the fold is to about 270 degrees putting the laptop screen below the external monitor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.