Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP G42-415DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a dual monitor setup, where the laptop is hooked to a 2nd monitor (TV) thru an HDMI . I primarily use the 2nd monitor. Can I blank screen the 1st (laptop screen) monitor, yet continue to use the 2nd monitor with the lid open for access to the keyboard?

(I noticed with changed settings in Win7 control panel, I can close the lid without cutting off [sleep, hibernate or shut-off] the computer and had to reduce the 2nd monitor display to fit the visible screen. But to use the keyboard one has to open the laptop lid, which kicks in the 1st screen)

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Kalad,

I think the same like you do sometimes, especially when I'm watching a movie and want it to be displayed on the larger screen and simultaneouly have the laptop screen turned off.

As you require to use the Laptop Keyboard and want the second displayed only, suggesting to select the "Projector Only" option in menu pop up by pressing Fn Key + F4.

& to come back again having dual screens or single screen press again Fn Key & F4 on your keyboard and select "Extend" or "Disconnect projector" options respectively.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Mundutha

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!*** .

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Kindly go through the document link given below and it contains clear instructions to show only one display under the Setting your display properties in Windows 7 section.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-G42-Notebook-PC-series/4346229/model/5048622/document/c019389...

Another method is to use Fn Key + F4 on your keyboard to show the shortcut display setting you want to choose.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Mundutha

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on "Thumbs up" button to the bottom right side of my post to say thanks!*** .

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Mundutha

Thank you for your effort, but didn't help. If I could rephrase my need: I have 2nd  monitor above the laptop screen (1st monitor) where the desktop is displayed. On the 1st monitor I have selected Aero Win7 theme (4 waving flags). While working on the 2nd (main display) monitor, how can I put the 1st monitor to sleep or blank screen, so its not constantly lit-up, but will wake-up as soon as I need another screen?

Much obliged

Khalad

HP Recommended

Hi Kalad,

I think the same like you do sometimes, especially when I'm watching a movie and want it to be displayed on the larger screen and simultaneouly have the laptop screen turned off.

As you require to use the Laptop Keyboard and want the second displayed only, suggesting to select the "Projector Only" option in menu pop up by pressing Fn Key + F4.

& to come back again having dual screens or single screen press again Fn Key & F4 on your keyboard and select "Extend" or "Disconnect projector" options respectively.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Mundutha

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi Mundutha

Now now............here, I give you kuddos. This is a good way to be able to use both monitors and selectably use one (or the other), with use of (in my case) Windows key-button +P (Fn Key+F4 does not work on my laptop). I was being lazy not to have to go thru these steps. But this is doable and simple.

Thanks

Khalad

HP Recommended

Hi Khalad,

Thanks for sharing alternative method, and glad the idea worked for you.

Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

Regards,
Mundutha

I am an HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.