Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

Hi. I recetly bought HP envy note book .

The product specifications are as follow.

specs.pngAs you can see the my laptop has integrated amd card with almost 4GB of ram. But surprisinlgy, I am not able to play even COD 4 (modern warefare) on it. Weird, isn't it?
Then I dive into the hardware information and have found that only 768MB of the grahpics card is being used. Please refer the following image.

Now, I am trying to find a way to increase this allocated Ram but I can't see any such option in BIOS.

Note: This notebook doesn't have any dedicated graphics card. So my only option is to increase this adapter ram.
How would I do it?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @awaise17,

Good to see you back on the forums.  Now lets take a look at your video memory issue.  Thanks you for the pics by the way.  It is nice to have a visual.  Now the memory that you where pointing at in the second pic is dynamic.  So at that moment you system was using that much video memory out of the possible 4GB

Now as for you COD modern warfare issue.  I am note exactly sure why this would happen.  I know myself I have a notebook that i can play WOW on and have it cranked right up.  Now when I tried to install and play Splinter Cell, it would not run.  Yet when I installed Battlefield that game ran just fine.  I thought maybe it was the copy of Splinter Cell was a bad copy so I went and picked up another.  Same issue. 

Another issue I have run into with gaming is with my one computer I upgraded to windows 8.1.  On this computer when i run the install it goes all the way through but when i go to actually run the game i get a black screen with a cursor and nothing else.

So I found a little helper out there called Can You RUN it.  it will allow you to test your specs and find out if your game will run or will not run.  Here is the link

CAN YOU RUN IT!

With this you will find out what the issue is.  You can have all the memory in the world but that is only the tip of the iceburg when it comes to playing games.

I hope this helps.  Please post back and let me know.

Thank you and have a great day

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi  @D5GR

Thank you for coming back to me. Meanwhile my post weren't getting replies, I searched all day over internet to find a fix for me but wasn't able to do so. So its nice to have a response from HP support.
Now, coming to the topic,  I've already tried CYRI for many games and it always showed that my grahpic card memory is "768MB (that's exactly what my system shows)" and that's why it meets minimum requirements for some games but doesn't for others. Also, it doesn't meet recommended requirements for ANY GAME. So why would it run then?

Also somewhere I read that if I want to check on that if dynamic memory is changed (increase obviously), then I should run a game first and then come back to the solution as they say the dynamic memory manages itself. So I tried running "Resident Evil 6, COD4" etc and while they were running, I came back to system info but still it showed that my computer is accessing only 768MB out of 4GB. That's pretty weird. So in some way, if I tell my computer that it must use all the available memory when I play a game and not to worry as I already have 8 GB of RAM then it might be possible to get good results.

So anything you suggest?

Please note that for both of COD4 and RE6, CYRI told me that my system meets the minimum requirements for the games. I get glicthes on RE6 and lags on COD4 while the very same games from the very same copy run pretty fine on my brother's computer that has a dedicated card of 1GB.

HP Recommended

Months have been passed and no reply from the Support. Really a disappointment.

HP Recommended

@awaise17 ,

Thank you for posting back.  Sorry about the wait you had with this and other posts.  The bottom line is you may have the minimum requirements for certain games but that is not all that is required.

It could be the minimum but you would have to run your game at the very lowest setting that is possible.

Even at that setting it may not be enough.

I have been gaming ever since the early 80's and one thing you will find is that your processor,  system memory RAM ,  and graphics memory may be the minimum.  The problem is the games graphics and they way they are processed may be causing your system to work too hard causing it to heat up.

This is a common issue when it comes to notebooks and gaming.  If you want to play games and are interested in gaming that is great but you will want to look at the right tool for the right job.

You can put together a desktop system with the same specs as your notebook and the games you are trying to play will work just fine.  The reason for this is there is lots of air getting in the box keeping the system in a safe operating temperature.

As soon as your notebooks chips start to heat up this is where you will run into problems.  If it cant get rid of the heat fast enough then you will not be able to run the games.

There are now mini desktop computers out now and some are labeled as gaming computers.  Even these have huge amounts of memory and processor and large video cards in them.  You will find many people out there having the same issue even with these systems.

One thing you will find as well is some games that have great graphics will play great and others that you thing have lesser graphics quality start hanging and causing problems.  This comes down to how the games where built and how they use the computers resources.

Bottom line is if you want to get into gaming and you want to game on a notebook you need to match the tool to the job. 

I hope this helps.

Thank you again for posting and have a great day.

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi. I am sorry but that is totally un-related to what I was looking for. Let me remind again.
I was looking for a way that my system uses more RAM than 768MB out of 4GB of my built-in Graphics card.

HP Recommended

@awaise17 ,

Hello again.  Sorry for the miss understanding.  In what I was saying before it still comes down to the same theme.  Your system may have a certain amount of ram.  However it all comes to power, heat,  and core demands as to what memory is going to be set aside for your application.

There is no way to adjust this manually.  There are some custom built system that have the BIOS and customer control drivers and software that let you set memory and performance settings like voltage but in this case you get what the system provides.

So the gaming will suffer in allot of cases when dealing with notebooks.  They are great computing and media platforms but when it comes to hard graphic rendering they cant take the heat and voltage demand to keep up with it.

I hope that clears it up.

Thank you again. Have a great day.

D5GR
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

There support here is full of idiots. They locked the bios so we can't alter the allocation size, you've got only 768MB of ram the GPU because that's all they'll allow you to use. They're afraid if you could use more you wouldn't buy a laptop with a dedicated graphics cards. Honestly someone should sue them for not providing what they state. Dynamically applied system resources are not effectively prioritized and suffer in performance. This guy giving you advice is so wrong. I'd fire half the staff if I could.

HP Recommended

So what youre saying is, HP locks the bios and removes the advanced tab within the bios entirley?

HP Recommended

I mean why would "HP" put a graphic's card with a good amount of memory on a good laptop but the compurter itself doesn't use or can't do what it's capable of.I have the same issue as well.I have HP notebook running on 64-bit Windows 10 with AMD A12-9700P Radeon R7,10 Compute Cores 4C+6G 2.50 GHz and I have no problem with heat or whatso ever.I tried opening BIOS but there's no advance option or an option that can change or increase my dedicated video ram.My PC is currently using  512 of Vram and has a total of 6383 Mb total of graphics memory and I think It can run it's potential as long as there will be an option.I have no issues with heat and all I want to know is "Why can't it run to what it's capable of"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.