Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ive gotten a hold of an HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset and would love for it to work (barely) on my HP Spectre x360. Everything seems to be in order apart from the display driver, that runs wddm 2.1 and not wddm 2.2 as needed. 

Intel has a new upgraded driver, but it doesnt work on the HP Spectre x360. 

When will there be an update? Or is there a workaround?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@carlheath

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

As informed I had consulted the R&D Team and here's what they had to say about this:

Ensure your windows version 1709 (falls creator update) is installed, if not update your windows,

Go to Device Manager and get latest Intel HD graphic driver using the update option on driver properties.

It will update to the WDDM 2.1 to WDDM 2.2. (screenshot 1 to screenshot 2)

After update, should look like this:

While you attempt these steps, I'm checking if that driver update works for us on our computer,

Let me know how that goes and I'll get back to you with more details and/or a complete fix.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" button for my efforts to help you.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @carlheath,

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! This is a great location to get resolutions and interact with experts from the community. I understand you are having issues with the latest drivers for your HP notebook. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Have you tried to update the drivers either using Windows update or using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried to update the Bios? Most of the times updating the Bios helps to resolves the issue.

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the notebookMany startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

Meanwhile, you may try to install the Intel® Driver Update Utility. This Utility keeps your system up-to-date, detecting which driver updates are relevant to your computer.

If the issue persists then you may also install the Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) Software

NOTE: This Installs the Intel® Management Engine (Intel® ME) software for systems based on 3rd generation Intel® Processors or above. The Intel ME software components that need to be installed depending on the system's specific hardware and firmware features. The installer detects the system's capabilities and installs the relevant drivers and applications.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to update the BIOS and Chipset drivers for your PC, from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi! Thanks Jeet for your reply. I have done all that you request in your post. My drivers are up to date and use the wddm 2.1. There is an update at Intel for 2.2 but that cant be used, as Im pointed in the direction of the HP driver update environment, where there are no new drivers to be found. So there seems to be an issue where Intel has provided updates now in October for the Fall Creators Update, but where HP has not followed up with this graphics update for the Spectre series. Since it seems that it might be able to run Windows Mixed Reality on the Spectre with the bump to wddm 2.2 that would be very helpful indeed.

HP Recommended

Hi @carlheath,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you have already tried the steps suggested and still having the issue updating the drivers. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve thissue

I just wanted to know have you tried to use the link from the previous post to download and install Intel Driver Update Utility as this will scan your computer and then look for the appropriate drivers and install them. If you haven't tried it, please go ahead and use the link to download the latest drivers.

If you have followed and still having the issue, I would suggest here is to enable Developer mode in Windows 10 and then try to check for updates.

This configuration option allows you to enable modes intended for development, for instance to test applications that you are developing on a live system to ensure that they work properly.

Development mode options are not entirely new as they have been available in previous builds as well.

The core difference is however that they had to be enabled using the Group Policy Editor in builds prior to 10122 while they are now accessible in a comfortable way through the settings menu.

Enabling Developer options

developer features

To enable the new Developer features, do the following on build 10122 or greater:

• Tap on the Windows-key, type Settings and load Settings - Modern application when the search results are displayed. You can also use the shortcut Windows-I instead which also opens the Settings application on Windows 10.
  • Switch to Update & Security > For developers to display the new features.
  • There you may either enable "sideload apps" or "developer mode".

Sideload apps -- Install apps from other sources you trust, like your workplace

Developer mode -- Install any signed and trusted app and use advanced development features

The main difference between the options is that "sideload apps" is limited to loading apps from sources other than Windows Store, while developer mode goes beyond sideloading applications.

Once the updates are installed successfully. please launch Windows Mixed Reality headset and then try to set it up.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to go to Device manager and then uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power from USB.

Go to Device Manager (Type 'Device Manager' into Cortana or right click on the Windows key)

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Pick appropriate 'Generic USB Hub'

Select the Power Management tab to the right

Uncheck 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'

Click on OK.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried using developer settings and then downloading the graphics drivers to update it. On the HP web I see this notice. There is a new driver from intel, but I cant download it from HP. When I try to download the same driver from Intel I cannot installed it as its not customized for the HP Spectre 360. So there is the catch, I still cannot get my driver running on 2.2 as there is no driver to download.

updategraphics.JPG

HP Recommended

@carlheath

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I reviewed your concern & have escalated the case to the R&D team,

So that we can obtain either a fitting solution or a patch that would help resolve/install the WDDM 2.2 drivers as available on Intel website.

If you don't get an update in 72hrs,

please send me a Private message for an update.

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@carlheath

Thank you for waiting,

I needed you to help me with the link that contains the WDDM 2.2 update on the Intel website,

That would help us, identify if the update supports the graphics card you have on your device.

Please post the link in your reply as I was unable to find it on the Intel website.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is the driver that I want to download from Intel that I cant.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620

HP Recommended

@carlheath

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

As informed I had consulted the R&D Team and here's what they had to say about this:

Ensure your windows version 1709 (falls creator update) is installed, if not update your windows,

Go to Device Manager and get latest Intel HD graphic driver using the update option on driver properties.

It will update to the WDDM 2.1 to WDDM 2.2. (screenshot 1 to screenshot 2)

After update, should look like this:

While you attempt these steps, I'm checking if that driver update works for us on our computer,

Let me know how that goes and I'll get back to you with more details and/or a complete fix.

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello I am having the same problem and I have followed all of your steps and it is still not working. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.