Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen by HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

(Sorry for it being long but I really need help)

A few months ago, my screen began to flicker completely black, but at first it seemed rare. As time went on, the flickering became much more common, to the point where I had to pull down and/or wiggle the laptop screen in order for it to go away. However two weeks ago, my screen suddenly began flickering fast, and my screen became completely black. I had to literally flip my laptop screen way down, just for the screen to become normal.  It is worth noting that I haven't inflect damage to my screen in anyway (Didn't hit/punch the screen, laptop drop, etc) so this seemed strange for it to happen. I then see it as a problem with my Intel Graphics processor. I heard from outside information that my screen had to work on the Refresh rate of 40 Hz for me to stop the flickering, so that's what I did with the limited visibility I had. It did removed the flickering, but now I have a new problem. I am not used to 40 Hz because of it being slow, so I decided to change back the Refresh Rate back to 60Hz, where I originally had it. However, it  wouldn't let me use 60Hz, as after selecting the option it would literally revert back to 40Hz. I tried doing it a few more times, but nothing changed. Next, I disabled Intel Graphics and then reinstalled it, but with no success. Then, I decided to download an possible updates for it, but again no success. At this point, I'm stuck using my Omen laptop at a slow 40.033 Hz. I don't know any other solutions, and I hope this brings light for a new possible solution.

Here's my specs:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz 2.81 GHz12.0 GB

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Winsaw

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • Have you checked the display on an external monitor?

While you respond to that, let's try these steps: 

Firstly, perform Windows Update and HP Support Assistant: (do not skip any troubleshooting steps if you feel steps are repeating) 

To check for updates now, select the Start button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

Install updates from HP Support Assistant: Go to Download HP Support Assistant to install the tool.

1. To open HP Support Assistant, double-click the HP Support Assistant icon https://support.hp.com/doc-images/932/c05040382.jpg.
  2. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.
  3. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.
  4. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.
  5. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.
  6. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello! Sorry for the late response. 

Anyways, the last time it worked without these issues was sometime in July. I did not make any changes to my settings, prior to this issue. I have checked the display on an external monitor (TV).  The laptop does actually run 60 Hz on the external monitor, with no issue. However, as soon as I disconnect the HDMI cable and return to my laptop screen, the laptop once again runs only on 40 Hz.

I don't have any updates from Windows Update and HP Assistant to download currently, but I will check on it often.

Thank you for your assistance!

HP Recommended

@Winsaw

Thank you for posting back.

Let's try this: 

BIOS Update: Follow steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.