Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop 13-aq0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A while ago, my laptop's touchscreen began to stop working periodically, where a restart would fix this.  Eventually, however, the HID Compliant Touch Screen driver just disappeared from the Device Manager.  I attempted using the HP Support Assistant and the HP Diagnostics software (which didn't show any options for the touch screen).  I did some more research about the yellow warning on an I2C HID Device driver, and was told to use the troubleshooter, which had no options.  I don't know what to try next, but PLEASE, do not tell me to reset my computer or check the bios or whatever, I have already tried it.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @cpaxson

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Have you tried these steps - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues

If the issue still persists, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I already went through all of the options in that guide, and the reset option was a pain because it removed all my data.  I don't particularly want to try that again, but my device is still in warranty.  Just a note: some of the options I could not go through because there is no touchscreen driver in Device Manager.

HP Recommended

@cpaxson

Thanks for replying. Resetting the PC should resolve any software/ driver related issue. Contact HP so that they can make an arrangement to repair this computer. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I just did a full reset on my computer, and the driver issue was not resolved.  The touchscreen device in Device Manager is still missing, and the I2C driver still has an error.

HP Recommended

@cpaxson Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction and you'll need to Contact HP to have it repaired.
  • And does the mouse work fine? it doesn't go around randomly clicking things, does it?
    perhaps check with an alternate mouse to rule that out as well?

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help:

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here for details.

If the Touchscreen isn't appearing on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If it works on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you get this problem fixed? I’m currently dealing with the exact same issue 

HP Recommended

Hi @Scotty2290_

Have you tried these steps

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry for taking so long to reply

I have tried these steps, but it still does not work.  The BIOS screen does not work and in the hardware testing program, there is no option for the touch screen.  Then, the HP Support Assistant Software does not show any BIOS updates.  And no, the mouse does not randomly click (I use the trackpad at times and other times use a wireless mouse).

Thanks!

Oh, and I also did a full reset on my computer to try and fix it.

HP Recommended

I have had same issue previously. I suspect hardware issue. 
See topic I previously started. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/ELAN-EzTouchFilter-HID-I2C-Touchscree...

Nothing worked until I had the screen replaced by HP service centre, so that’s what I’d suggest if you’re still in warranty period, or you might have to pay/live with it unfortunately...

You can try update/enable/disable all you like and sometimes it comes back, sometimes it doesn’t and it is bloody frustrating. Since the screen replacement about 6 months ago - had zero issues. 

Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.