Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-af148ca (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My notebook screen freezes ( the overall display including the mouse) for 2 seconds every after 5 seconds interval but I noticed that its only the display that freezes not the the whole system after I play videos and the audio just continues playing in the background without any issue. I am experiencing this issue for a couple of months already and I still got no solution. I just reformatted my notebook multiple times after I though that the issue is in the OS. But after I reformat my notebook for the last time, after the system updates the driver, it gets back to the same issue with the display freezing constantly. I got a solution from the HP forum suggesting to roll back the display driver and it works but it just temporarily solves the issue.  The driver roll back just gets me back to having the Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor which gives me a lot of limitations and slow graphic performance. I badly want to update my display driver for me to be able to get back to my editing work and be able to extend my screen ( which the basic adaptor prevents me from doing). But if I update my driver automatically and it changes to ( AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics ), it returns to the same freezing issue. I can't update my display driver because keeps having the issue. I hope this issue could be solve. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It looks like the new driver has no support for this Windows version. It dosen't work properly

I've found solution here 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/radeon-hd-8400-freezing-after-win10-v2004/td-p/115960
Downloaded 

• Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1002
    Then I've installed this driver but on windows manager shows only standard video card - like without driver then I click update driver from my drive pointed folder packages/drivers from this downloaded and unziped file. Driver has been found and installation has been successfully. All working well now without any hangs. I hope it helps anyone else  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

After fresh install Win10 - 21H1 - Windows got GPU driver and start freezing - you can't work on that machines hangs every few seconds.

Tried HP driver and is the same - HP drivers are for Windows 1700 build and issue still there. 

HP Recommended

Exactly! left with no options but to use the Basic Display Driver. I still got no solution for this. 

HP Recommended

It looks like the new driver has no support for this Windows version. It dosen't work properly

I've found solution here 
https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/radeon-hd-8400-freezing-after-win10-v2004/td-p/115960
Downloaded 

• Driver Version: 15.200.1062.1002
    Then I've installed this driver but on windows manager shows only standard video card - like without driver then I click update driver from my drive pointed folder packages/drivers from this downloaded and unziped file. Driver has been found and installation has been successfully. All working well now without any hangs. I hope it helps anyone else  
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot! This helped solve my problem. I downloaded the driver from the link you gave and used the DDU. I installed the old driver and the screen freezing is gone now and I can now be able to extend my monitor.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.