Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 14s-dk0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My laptop glitches in green and purple/pink. I don't have a photo of mine but I found one from the internet that looks exactly like my problem:

i can't embed the image for some reason so please click here to see it 

At first, it was just a single pink horizontal line located near the very top of my screen, then a few hours later that day, it started glitching like what is shown in the photo. I was worried because I thought I did something wrong. After doing some research, I found out that you can fix this problem temporarily by going back and forth between different resolutions and refresh rates in your advanced monitor/adapter settings. And after going back and forth between different resolutions/refresh rates, I go back to this one specific setting: 1366x178 4Hz, which stops the glitching. If it doesn't work, I have to repeat the process again and again until the glitching stops. This fix is enough for me, but I just know it's gonna get annoying. Why? Here's the catch.

Whenever my laptop's monitor turns off and turns back on again, the glitching happens. So every time I have to boot my computer, I have to perform my fixing process because it goes back to being a glitchy mess every single time. And what's more annoying is that you need to keep switching between different resolutions and refresh rates, before going back to 1366x178 4Hz, And pray that it works. There are no specific steps or patterns to fix the problem. It's just random every single time and you just have to depend on your luck and pray the glitching stops. I hope I'm explaining this right.

After doing some research, I've discovered different reasons as to why this problem occurred. It's either because of:

1. me leaving the laptop charging despite it being already having a full battery percentage (i am very guilty of this)

2. the monitor cables inside are loose and need some reconnecting

3. hot weather (??) im not really sure but yes i've seen this somewhere. and yes, it DID start glitching during a day when the weather was hot, but i'm quite skeptical about this.

There are other reasons I found but they aren't really likely, so I will not mention them. I also don't recall slamming my laptop or doing anything physically to damage the screen. It just happened out of nowhere.

I know you will most likely recommend me to let a technician handle it, get it fixed, or get the LCD screen replaced, but I believe it can be fixed without going through something like that. I believe this because, if just a few clicks and switching between different resolutions/refresh rates managed to fix the problem for me temporarily, then there must be another solution as simple as that which doesn't involve getting the screen replaced and technical stuff like that. I'm saying this because getting it fixed is my last choice/resort. So if you could provide any solutions that would hopefully fix this problem other than getting it professionally fixed, then that would be really nice. Thank you.

Side note: Whenever I take a screenshot, it's normal. The glitching and lines don't appear on the screenshot. I tried connecting it to an external monitor thru HDMI and it appeared normal on the external monitor too. Just felt like putting that in case someone asks, since I've noticed this seems to be relevant info after some research and looking through forums.

Product Info:

Product name : HP Laptop 14s-dk0xxx

Product number : 6ML23PA#UUF

Serial number : [Personal Information Removed]

Software build ID : 19WW1AHT602#SUUF#DUUF

Motherboard ID : 85E1

BIOS : F.43-09/05/2019

Keyboard revision : 84.43

Total memory : 4GB

Processor name : AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@brykevs

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

BIOS: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110001-110500/sp110249.exe

AMD: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp110001-110500/sp110083.exe

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.