Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a Spectre x360, W10 64b, which has an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU 2.70GHz, the GPU is a HD Graphics 620. I use this laptop with a second monitor attached, which it use to detect. Today it stopped doing so. I have tried everything, from the classic "turn off-turn on" and "unplug-replug" to updating all my drivers. Nothing has worked. I had not installed any new apps on my laptop before it stopped recognizing my second monitor. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @Nassef, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand your laptop has stopped detecting the second monitor.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to the monitor?

Are you trying to extend, mirror or duplicate the display?

How are the monitors connected?

What cables are used to connect the monitors?

Have you tried checking with different video cables?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned your laptop has stopped detecting the second monitor.

Use the following instructions to either extend or duplicate the desktop with a second monitor:

1.Right-click anywhere on the desktop.

2.Click Display Settings.

If only one monitor is showing in the window, first verify that the connections are secure between the monitors and the computer. Then, click Detect. If Windows does not recognize both monitors, click Identify. The numbers 1 2, or 3 are shown on the monitor icons to help you identify the monitors.

If Display, Resolution, Orientation, or Multiple displays selections in the Screen Resolution window are dimmed, not allowing you to make the desired changes, see; Configuring the display with the display driver.

3.Use the Multiple displays drop-down list to select one of the following options:

• Duplicate these displays: Show the entire desktop on both displays. 

• Extend these displays: Stretch the desktop across the two displays.

• Show desktop only on 1: Use only display 1 and show nothing on display 2.

• Show desktop only on 2: Use only display 2 and show nothing on display 1.

4.(Optional) To change the direction of the desktop extension (usually left or right to match how the displays are physically positioned), select a monitor and drag it to the desired position.

5.When done, click Apply.

Refer this article to know more information about using two or more monitors.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

None of these tips helped me. What makes the case particulary frustrating is that the second display works sometimes. I have tried everything you've described above.

The conection is through my USB C cable.

HP Recommended

@Nassef, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

You have not given the complete information.

1. I had asked for product number which you have not shared.

2. How is the monitor connected from USB-C port from the laptop?

3. Is it USB-C to USB-C or HDMI or display port?

4. Are you using any adapters to connect the monitor?

Also, try the steps recommended below.

Go to Device Manager. To do this you can just type Device Manager in the search bar.
Find Display Adapter and right click it.
Choose Update Driver and follow the instructions.

Open the Settings app. You can do that quickly by using Windows Key + I shortcut.
When Settings app opens, navigate to System section.
Scroll down to the Multiple displays section and click on Display adapter properties.
When Properties window opens, navigate to Monitor tab. Set Screen refresh rate to 60 Hertz and click on Apply and OK to save changes. If your monitor is already set to 60 Hertz, select a different value and then return it back to 60 Hertz. Keep in mind that not all frequencies are compatible with your monitor, so if you want to avoid causing damage to your display, use the frequencies recommended by the manufacturer.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know how it goes!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried all the things already posted but still doest work!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.