Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ay516tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My laptop is about 3 years old now from the date I purchased it. HP hasn't provided any significant graphics driver updates for Skylake graphics drivers since February of 2018. Recent update to windows 10 v 1909 broke both of my graphic drivers - Intel 520 and AMD R5 M430. The older ones weren't working and Windows updated them via windows update. However, the newer ones are now lacking basic functonality such as control panel and brightness adjustment. I tried to roll back to the older Intel driver but they just wouldn't work. The intel control panel would freeze and the driver would crash. And Windows kept updating it to the recent version. Should I download and use the graphics drivers from Intel and AMD websites from now on seeing as HP is not keen on  providing anymore driver updates for my laptop? Intel's website says that it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to provide updated graphics drivers and that I should refrain from using intel graphics drivers downloaded from intel website.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

you have done it incorrectly.  

on this page showes the latest drivers.
Appologies i posted the wrong link for you , here is a better link. i will leave the other link (2nd link)up for others who may find this post. select win 10 DHC Driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520<---- click DHC Driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29197/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?produ...

there are 2 types of file.  the .exe, an executable file, and a .zip, a compressed file.
download the .zip file.  and extract it to a folder you know so you can find it easily. use 7-zip(free) or winrar or windows  compression tool on the context (right click) menu

To Extract: open folder where the .zip file  you just downloaded is.  make a new folder with the same name as the .zip file, you can copy and paste the name from the zip to the folder, now drag and drop the .zip file into the folder.  enter folder to show .zip file, right click .zip file and click extract. or extract here. allow it to extract.  this folder now should have the extracted contents, which is the driver.

in windows search pane type device manager and open it. tick the display adapters drop down.  and right click on your device.  intel 530 or which ever you have. click update driver.  click Browse my computer for driver software.  on the next page click the browse button. tick search subfolders. navigate to the extracted files, select the "Graphics" subfolder.  it should update.

the installer will work for a few minutes, dont think that it has stalled.  you will not receive any other pop ups or confirmations after that till the driver is intsalled

also the Intel control panel has been replaced with Intel Graphics Command Center. which may explain your loss of functionality of the other app, upon entering Intel Graphics Command Center you will be prompted to uninstall obsolete software. this should have auto updated long ago for you.

if after all this it still says you have the most up to date driver, please goto search type dxdiag right click run as admin, yes to whql logo  cert, allow to load completely by watching green progress bar in left bottom corner, click display tab(may be 0 or 1) read driver version, tell me driver version.

I hope this helps you . Cheers!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@22shadesofblack,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the graphics driver on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend download and install HP support assistant from the below link and it will automatically download and install all the latest drivers available for your computer.

Here is how it is done.

Download link: https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_in/en/any/psg/p...

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

6. Perform any other update management actions as needed.

• Postpone an update: Click Remind me, and then select a time preference.

• Delete an available update: Click the Delete icon  to remove the update from the list and record it in the action log.

• Review updates status: Click Action log below the list to view installed, postponed, or deleted updates.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes you would do better to download the drivers straight from AMD or Intel, sometimes the intel wont work because HP hasnt authorized it, this happens because HP is lazy. if you download the .zip graphics driver for intel then extract, then goto device manager, right click your display adapter, click update, then navigate the updater to the extracted file, this should update your intel driver.

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

Thanks for your reply. However, I have already tried that step. The support assistant keeps downloading the graphics driver that was released more than a year ago by HP. That old Intel graphics driver is not compatible with the Windows 10 v1909 that my laptop is running right now.  When I install that version, my brightness settings stop functioning properly. Not only that, Windows recognizes the older driver and updates it automatically to another one through windows update. The driver provided by windows update is also not working properly.

HP Recommended

I did that but the device managers always says that I have the most recent version of the driver even though I do not. I tried to download the one directly from intel website but it won't install.

HP Recommended

you have done it incorrectly.  

on this page showes the latest drivers.
Appologies i posted the wrong link for you , here is a better link. i will leave the other link (2nd link)up for others who may find this post. select win 10 DHC Driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520<---- click DHC Driver
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29197/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-?produ...

there are 2 types of file.  the .exe, an executable file, and a .zip, a compressed file.
download the .zip file.  and extract it to a folder you know so you can find it easily. use 7-zip(free) or winrar or windows  compression tool on the context (right click) menu

To Extract: open folder where the .zip file  you just downloaded is.  make a new folder with the same name as the .zip file, you can copy and paste the name from the zip to the folder, now drag and drop the .zip file into the folder.  enter folder to show .zip file, right click .zip file and click extract. or extract here. allow it to extract.  this folder now should have the extracted contents, which is the driver.

in windows search pane type device manager and open it. tick the display adapters drop down.  and right click on your device.  intel 530 or which ever you have. click update driver.  click Browse my computer for driver software.  on the next page click the browse button. tick search subfolders. navigate to the extracted files, select the "Graphics" subfolder.  it should update.

the installer will work for a few minutes, dont think that it has stalled.  you will not receive any other pop ups or confirmations after that till the driver is intsalled

also the Intel control panel has been replaced with Intel Graphics Command Center. which may explain your loss of functionality of the other app, upon entering Intel Graphics Command Center you will be prompted to uninstall obsolete software. this should have auto updated long ago for you.

if after all this it still says you have the most up to date driver, please goto search type dxdiag right click run as admin, yes to whql logo  cert, allow to load completely by watching green progress bar in left bottom corner, click display tab(may be 0 or 1) read driver version, tell me driver version.

I hope this helps you . Cheers!

HP Recommended

updated several time hope u got it all

HP Recommended

Amazing. You were right. That method worked. I too had done it in the past, I just forgot you could update the driver that way also. Thank you for your time. My brightness settings are working fine now.

HP Recommended

IM Very Glad That You Got It Working.

Best Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.