Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop screen will come on and it allows me to select any item in the task bar but it will not display anything on the screen itself.  I have rebooted several times but because I cannot see anything other than the taskbar, I cannot restore the computer to a different point.

Is there a way to restore from the run bar?  

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Ras8

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the product number of your computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you follow the below steps to perform a system restore on the computer.

1. Turn off the computer and wait at least 5 seconds with the computer in a full off state.

2. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F11 key, about once every second, until you see the Windows loading screen.

3. If a language selection screen opens, select the language you want to use to continue.

4. On the Choose your keyboard layout screen, select the keyboard layout that matches your keyboard type.

Choose your keyboard layout screen

5. On the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.

Choose an option screen, with Troubleshoot selected

6. On the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced Options.

Troubleshoot screen, with Advanced options selected

7. On the Advanced options screen, click System Restore.

Advanced options screen, with System Restore selected

8. Click Windows 8, click Windows 8.1, or click Windows 10 as the target operating system.

System Restore screen, with a target operating system selected

The System Restore window opens.

9. Click Next.

System Restore window, with Next encircled in red

10. Click the Restore Point that you want to use, and then click Next.

The Confirm Restore Point window opens.

11. Click Finish to restore your computer to a previous point.

Confirm your restore point screen, with Finish circled in red

12. Do not interrupt System Restore when it starts. Doing so can corrupt your hard drive and create more problems. Click Yes in the warning that appears.

Warning that appears before beginning a System Restore

13. System Restore returns the computer configuration to a previous point in time and restarts.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.