Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
dv2620us
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I know I've had this discussion before, but I was hoping someone would have an update or new discovery.

Windows 10 upgrade states that this computer is not compatible due to the Nvidia display. 

I checked to see if HP had an update for this driver and found that the recommended solution was to go to Nvidia. 

Nvidia states that the notebook manufacturer has to make the update, which kind of makes sense to me.

So, if HP is unwilling to make the update it seems to be catch 22, I probably can't upgrade (for one of the nicest notebooks ever made) to Windows 10 because there is no video driver compatible. 

I did look at the forum and the only thing I found was a "solved" instance from Scott1234, but it was for a 32 bit installation and had some bugs (see below). The link was to a UK site, so I'm thinking I'm not comfortable to do that for my machine, at least not yet.

Would appreciate any feedback someone might have to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Re: Windows 10 Upgrade for a notebook Nvidia Geforce 7150/NForc​e 630M

• 08-05-2015 11:43 PM

I used this article and now my Laptop that was told that I cannot use Windows 10 now is running it. A couple bugs but outside of that,works great. http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-inst​all-windows-10-now-upgrade-gwx-3575135/

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

SDF15, it has been a while since we last conversed.  I found a solution to the Nvidia GeForce 7150/nForce630M driver issues posted by "msddjd" titled Can't find GeForce 7150M/nForce 630 M Driver for Windows 10.  In that post the simple answer was to just reinstall the original Nvidia drivers.

The only additional step I found necesary was to install Windows 10 via an ISO image because Microsoft refused to allow automatic update for this platform (dv2620us).  Once that was accomplished and all the warnings about display issues were dismissed I downloaded and installed the original Vista/Win7 Nvidia display drivers for this computer.  

This of course was a good solution for the dv2620us notebook as well as the hardware msddjd was concerned with.  Not sure it's a solution for everyone, but well worth a try.  I have not found anything in Windows 10 that does not work with this configuration.  So, I'd consider this a solved issue ... finally! Wohoo! 

Just thought you'd like to know and thanks again.

Dawntreader

><>

To save time for anyone reading this, here are the instructions from msddjd:

Re: Cant find GeForce 7150M/nForce 630 M Driver for Windows 10

I was able to find a temporary fix until they hopefully release an updated driver for windows 10.

1. I downloaded the following file from NVIDIA. Select the appropriate one for your system.

64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta.html

32bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/8971/en-us

2. Installed it and restarted Windows 10

3. Launch the device manager and extended the display adapters

4. Right clicked on the sub item and selected "update driver software"

5. Then selected "Browse my computer for driver software"

6. Tell Windows to search in the following directory which should have been created by the application that was downloaded "C:\NVIDIA". Make sure the search subdirectories check box is checked.

7. Once it finished the GeForce 7150/nForce 630M was successfully installed on Windows 10.

I was able to install it using the 64 bit version but I assume it will work for the other version too as long as it is the correct one for your system.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello @Dawntreader,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums!

I came across your post about the Windows 10 upgrade, and wanted to help!

It seems that the only drivers available for your product on the HP site, is for the Windows Vista Operating System.  If there are any Windows 10 drivers that will be available for your product, they will be pushed through the Windows Update

You can try checking this site as well: 

HP Products - Where Do I Find Windows 10 Drivers and Software for My Model?

You can also try using the solutions on this site as a workaround.  Please let me know how it goes: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.  I have looked at the sites you provided. The HP Products and the How To: sites mostly depend on the fact that you have installed Win 10 and are having driver issues.  However, the How To site provided a link to Nvidia so I went there. I looked up the driver for this system and got the following message:

GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M

Integrated Graphics

This product has been detected as your primary device

Your product manufacturer requires you to download a driver for your device from their website

However, I downloaded their latest driver and will see what happens when I'm able to install it.

Version 179.48

Release Date Wed Feb 11, 2009

Operating System Windows Vista 64-bit  Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks so much for your reply! I'll return and let you know how it went. 

HP Recommended

Well, not having much success.  Followed the instructions you gave, as I said. I installed the driver from Nvidia, but that did not affect the results. I also allowed Windows 7 to update the driver to the MS version, still no success.  According to the How To article, the drivers are essentially the same for most devices. Not sure why this particular one is being rejected. If there were a way to install the upgrade, I could then run the driver installation in compatibility mode. As it is, there is nothing to be done. 

As I said I'm a bit leary for using the UK fix suggested by Scott11234; not saying there is anything wrong with trying it, it's just that I have an older machine.

So, here I sit.  Windows 7 has served me well.  Maybe I'm missing some minor detail ...? Not sure.

Anyway, thanks again.  If you think of anything else, I'd be glad to hear from you.

Have a great week ahead.

HP Recommended

Hello @Dawntreader,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I understand that you are in a tight spot.  Try looking over the following post, to see if any of the information there can help you out in this situation:

dv2620us missing drivers after Win 7 Install

General Windows 7 Upgrade Guide for HP Laptops

I hope this helps.

Regards!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

SDF15 - thanks again. I'm not having any problems with any Windows 7 drivers. It's just Win10 doesn't want to recognize this particular one.

A long time ago, when I upgraded from Vista to Win 7 there were some yellow warnings in the device manager.  I was able to correct those with help from the very same CherylG! 

You've been very diligent to help and I sincerely appreciate it.  It's ironic, I suppose, but I've had this notebook since '06.  I guess since Win7 is good for another 5 years, maybe it will last that long before something breaks and I'll just have to get a new notebook!   Hp of course, I own nothing else!

The Dawntreader

><>

HP Recommended

SDF15, it has been a while since we last conversed.  I found a solution to the Nvidia GeForce 7150/nForce630M driver issues posted by "msddjd" titled Can't find GeForce 7150M/nForce 630 M Driver for Windows 10.  In that post the simple answer was to just reinstall the original Nvidia drivers.

The only additional step I found necesary was to install Windows 10 via an ISO image because Microsoft refused to allow automatic update for this platform (dv2620us).  Once that was accomplished and all the warnings about display issues were dismissed I downloaded and installed the original Vista/Win7 Nvidia display drivers for this computer.  

This of course was a good solution for the dv2620us notebook as well as the hardware msddjd was concerned with.  Not sure it's a solution for everyone, but well worth a try.  I have not found anything in Windows 10 that does not work with this configuration.  So, I'd consider this a solved issue ... finally! Wohoo! 

Just thought you'd like to know and thanks again.

Dawntreader

><>

To save time for anyone reading this, here are the instructions from msddjd:

Re: Cant find GeForce 7150M/nForce 630 M Driver for Windows 10

I was able to find a temporary fix until they hopefully release an updated driver for windows 10.

1. I downloaded the following file from NVIDIA. Select the appropriate one for your system.

64bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta.html

32bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/8971/en-us

2. Installed it and restarted Windows 10

3. Launch the device manager and extended the display adapters

4. Right clicked on the sub item and selected "update driver software"

5. Then selected "Browse my computer for driver software"

6. Tell Windows to search in the following directory which should have been created by the application that was downloaded "C:\NVIDIA". Make sure the search subdirectories check box is checked.

7. Once it finished the GeForce 7150/nForce 630M was successfully installed on Windows 10.

I was able to install it using the 64 bit version but I assume it will work for the other version too as long as it is the correct one for your system.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.