Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Product Name and Number

HP Compaq Presario CQ40 (339TU)

Operating System installed

Windows 8 Pro (recently re-installed)

Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred

Accidentally deleted the system reserved partition (approx. 300MB)

The Issue

I have recently re-installed the OS on my notebook (the previous OS was the same). I wanted to do a clean install and I accidentally deleted the System Reserved partition which was approximately 300MB in size.

The install completed without any problem. After installation I noticed that the native resolution has become 1200x800 (3:2) where it was originally 1280x800 (16:10) and also the display is detected as "Mobile PC Display". I went through the Windows Update but it also couldn't detect my drivers. I went to the official HP TechSupport site (here's the link) but it had no drivers for Windows 8.

Then I tried the Intel site and found the drivers, installed them but still nothing happened.

I googled for 2days to solve this, found nothing that worked. I Re-Installed, Reset, Refreshed, Automatic Repaired, the PC from the windows installation CD, nothing worked :Crying:

I had used Windows Vista, 7, and 8 on this notebook. The previous version of windows I used for 1.5yrs is the same one I installed now from the same CD. Previously when I installed windows and went to Windows Update, it detected all my drivers and updated them. I had nothing to worry about.

I was hoping that someone here would find me a solution for this problem.

Thank you in advance :generic:

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I fixed it!! :OpenSmile:

I downloaded the latest bios and flashed it. Previous bios version was same but now my resolution is back to 1280 x 800 🙂

I didn't make myself any recovery discs previously, but I sure will from now on.

As I don't have any way of identifying what actually caused the problem, I'll stay happy with the solution I found. This thread can now be marked "solved".

Thank you very much for trying to help. I love HP! :OpenSmile:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey Rafid, 

I'm sorry you're running into this display issue. I see that you said you recently reinstalled Windows 8. Has 1280 x 800 ever been available with Windows 8 installed (in a previous installation)?

Also, would you happen to have made yourself a set of recovery discs from the recovery partition before it was deleted?

HP Recommended

I fixed it!! :OpenSmile:

I downloaded the latest bios and flashed it. Previous bios version was same but now my resolution is back to 1280 x 800 🙂

I didn't make myself any recovery discs previously, but I sure will from now on.

As I don't have any way of identifying what actually caused the problem, I'll stay happy with the solution I found. This thread can now be marked "solved".

Thank you very much for trying to help. I love HP! :OpenSmile:

HP Recommended

Great! I'm so happy to hear you were able to take care of it with a simple BIOS flash. Please let me know if you run into any other questions 🙂

HP Recommended

Where did you get Bios????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.