Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
OMEN 17-cb0011nv
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have bought an HP laptop 2 months ago and since I bought it I had this problem. When I start it up , the brightness won't adjust and I have to put it in sleep mode and when I "wake it up" the brightness is at the normal level and I can adjust it as I should.

The interesting thing is that when I start it up the brightness is always at a certain level and that level wasnt always the same. When i bought it the brightness used to be at MAXIMUM level ,despite what the windows bar was showing , so I used to put it in a sleep mode and then open it up again and <<voila>> . But I did a BIOS update and before doing it I set the brightness to MINIMUM because it was dark in the room, so when the BIOS update finished the brightness was stuck in the MINIMUM level . So now every time I open it up I can barely see the screen , but again putting it in the sleep mode works. I have updated the graphics card drivers , both via HP app and manually , I have updated generic PnP monitor and I asure you that it is enabled.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@dimosnat Welcome to HP Community!

I suggest you start with disabling the adaptive brightness as recent updates seems to have been enabling it and the same causes such issues:

Step 1: Open the “Control Panel” in the start menu.

Step 2: Find the click on “Power Options”.

Step 3: Click “Change plan settings” next to the current power plan.

Step 4: Choose “Change advanced power settings”.

Step 5: Scroll down and locate the “Display” and expand it for “Enable adaptive brightness.”

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

First of all thank you for your answer,

I tried the fix that you suggested but the problem still remains.

I am wondering if it is a BIOS thing for the reason I mentioned at the beginning.

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

@dimosnat Most models of have the advanced BIOS menu blocked to avoid major changes that may render the device unusable, that said, you could check if the brightness is available on your BIOS, if not, you cannot access those settings by design! Also, since the issue occurred after a BIOS update, I suggested we recover the last working BIOS using the steps mentioned here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have checked the BIOS and it seems that I cannot access any brightness settings or adjust the brightness through it , so I guess I cannot access those settings by design as you mentioned.

As for the BIOS update , I think I wasn't that clear. The problem existed from the first moment I bought the laptop, before the BIOS update that I performed myself. The only thing the BIOS update did was to change my brightness from "always to maximum" to "always to minimum". So now when I open the laptop the brightness is at the minimun level and doesnt change. But as I mentioned before putting it into sleep mode fixes the problem until the next restart.

HP Recommended

@dimosnat I suggest you create a new user account to check if that helps, if not, backup all personal data into an external storage and reset windows using the steps mentioned here,

Keep me posted with the results.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried creating a new user account and it didnt help. I guess I ll backup my data and the proceed to a windows reset. Do you suggest a clean reset (deleting all of the data and changes)?

HP Recommended

@dimosnat A clean installation is the best way forward, although, please ensure you create a backup of all your personal data into an external storage device before proceeding to be on a safer side.

And keep us posted, good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.