Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 m6 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had to purchase a replacement computer when I was out of town for training.  I bought the HP ENVY x360 for the processor speed and display size (due to type of training).  I am back in the office and can no longer use my docking station, so I am trying to circumvent that.   As it looks like this replacement Envy might be permanent (other laptop is not looking like it is repairable)  I was hoping to get a little bit of the same set-up.  It doesn't appear that an Envy is compatible with a docking station.

I have a desk set up with two monitors (DVI-D/VGA capable).  I purchased 3 HDMI cables, one splitter (Musou 2 Port HDMI Splitter, 1 in 2 out) and then two HDMI/DVI-D adapters so that I could plug into the monitors.  Basically, one HDMI out from Envy to a splitter, from splitter - 2 HDMIs out to the DVI-D adapters and then into the monitors.

Unfortunately, this setup isn't working.  I think that perhaps unable to handle the transfer of the display through all the bits and pieces (that's my technical term for lots of plugs and things).

Has anyone found success projecting to a two monitor set up without a docking station and using HDMI to DVI-D?  I could purchase two new monitors, but I'd still be using the splitter and I am not sure if that is the problem or if it is the DVI-D adapter.  

Or, maybe I missed a setting in the display options?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.  I am old and wear bifocals, I need my two big screens!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The docks are obviously not going to work with the new laptop. m6-aq105dx is the model number and it has a USB-C port which I am sure you have not experienced before. It is the little oval port. Your best bet to come as close to the dock experience is a USB-C port replicator with dual video connections. Right now you have two HDMI cables coming out of the dock going to two monitors connected with DVI-D? 

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Dock-Monitor-Replicator/dp/B01IR0OG5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Something like the above would work. You can connect the two DVI monitors direct to the port replicator. This will not charge the laptop so you will have to use the laptop charger, but will allow connection of mouse, keyboard and two monitors. You can find similar USB-C devices with dual HDMI or a DisplayPort and an HDMI...all kinds of options. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Can we have the specific model number of the new computer and also the dock you have. I am sure the new computer does not work with the old dock but we can recommend another setup once we understand the hardware we are discussing and identify it. 

HP Recommended

My pleasure!

Model number:  W2K44UA#ABA   (it says Product Number, I am assuming this is what you meant?)

My old docking station is an HP Advanced Docking Station (I am not sure that helps).  P/N:  NZ223AA#ABA

Additionally, I have two of these docking stations, if that is at all helpful.  They are actually the stands for my monitors.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

The docks are obviously not going to work with the new laptop. m6-aq105dx is the model number and it has a USB-C port which I am sure you have not experienced before. It is the little oval port. Your best bet to come as close to the dock experience is a USB-C port replicator with dual video connections. Right now you have two HDMI cables coming out of the dock going to two monitors connected with DVI-D? 

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB-Dock-Monitor-Replicator/dp/B01IR0OG5Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid...

Something like the above would work. You can connect the two DVI monitors direct to the port replicator. This will not charge the laptop so you will have to use the laptop charger, but will allow connection of mouse, keyboard and two monitors. You can find similar USB-C devices with dual HDMI or a DisplayPort and an HDMI...all kinds of options. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Perfect - thank you so much!

HP Recommended

Wil this model work  W2K45UA##BA     tHANKS t

HP Recommended

I am having a similar issue.

I have an HP Envy x360 m6 Convertible model # 15m-cn0011dx I had it connected to dual monitors with a USB c station I had borrowed it from my work the IT person told me it was not very good (they have had some issues with them at work) but it is what we use at work (dell brand) so I borrowed it.  It just quit working one evening.

Not sure if the USB c hub port in the computer is bad or if the docking station is bad.

I only bought the computer about 6 months ago do the USB c ports go bad or have they gone bad that quickly???

When you plug the cable into the port it is pretty loose is that normal for the USB c ports???

So I went out and bought another station off amazon one that I could hook up a VGA and HDI which was not a lot that I found. I received it and I still can't get the dual monitors to work as well as the keyboard and mouse through the USB c hub port.

So I bought an adapter to go from USB c to regular USB and see if the station I bought was working at all.

It is working I can get the keyboard and mouse to go through the new station but still can't get the screens to work through it.

I am not a tech so I am really needing some help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.