Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

The screen on my HP Envy TouchSmart 15 Notebook, model 15-j144na has cracked and is not covered by warranty.

Please advise if I can purchase screen to replace myself? Is there a vendor who supplies official HP parts rather than copies?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

On a touchscreen what we have to figure out is if the screen panel is cracked or just the glass that goes over the screen? Is the image you see distorted like big color blobs or offset image or is there just a crack running across? 

Official HP screens are not made by HP. Laptop technicians know that the way to get a replacement screen at the best price is to look at a range of compatible screens. 

Its a 15.6 inch LED 1920 x 1080 touchscreen 

This is the HP Part number for the whole assembly including the plastic case:

15.6 inch (39.80 cm), BrightView, FHD, LED, TouchSmart touchscreen display assembly 720550-001

HP official Parts Store has it in stock for about $400:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=1069F8369AE84F20BB98CA97F1E423E4&SearchIn=P...

That is actually not as bad as I feared. You cannot use the $310 "exchange" item since the screen did not fail it broke but you might call the Parts Store and see if they will exchange a broken one. I think not but can't hurt to ask. 

If it is just the glass and digitizer we can find the parts for much, much less like maybe $125 and by reusing the plastic housing even if we would have to find the screen panel and the glass it would be more like $225 +/-

If you get the parts you are going to have to find someone to install them or we can help you do it yourself. It is much easier just to replace the whole assembly than trying to replace individual parts, of course. 

Post back if you want to discuss further. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

HP Envy  x360 15m crack shown here. White screen for contrast, no distortion on view but the touch does not work. 20191203_182033.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @OzAro

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You can contact HP but since this is an out of warranty situation trying to get HP to fix it is going to be expensive and difficult at best. That picture shows an impact fracture to what appears to be just the glass over the screen. Post back if you want to discuss self-help repair or just contact HP as suggested above. Good luck. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.