Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 15
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

My computer is 2 years old, was running Windows 8.1, updated to Windows 10 last year and has been running well until last month when the screen started going crazy (flashing lights, apps starting by themselves, cursor frozen) after a couple of hours of playing radio or my music.  There is no way to control by cursor or touch screen, and the only thing to do is turn off the power button.

I finally reset to factory specifications and only loaded a couple of applications (antivirus, HideMyAss, my music files) and that worked for a while, but problem has restarted.

I raised the computer an inch in case overheating was a problem, although it doesn't seem to run hot.

Anybody have any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @mentor,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the display issue, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, what is the current Operating System for your notebook?  If you performed a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings, then you should have the original Operating System that came with the notebook.  If you are still using Windows 10, then you may consider using the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings: 

HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

Once you are back to your original Operating System, try performing the System Recovery.  After that, do not install any programs for a few days, and see if the notebook has the same issue.  If not, load one program at a time, starting with the Anti-Virus.  Allow a day or two to pass after installing each program.  This is to verify that you do not have Malicious Software within those files.  Otherwise, the issue may continue to reoccur. 

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution, this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @mentor,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I read your post about the display issue, and wanted to assist you!

To start, can you provide me with the Product Number of the notebook?  Here is a link you can use that will help you find your Model and Product Number:
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

In the meantime, what is the current Operating System for your notebook?  If you performed a System Recovery, to put the notebook back to its factory settings, then you should have the original Operating System that came with the notebook.  If you are still using Windows 10, then you may consider using the Go back to an earlier build option, in your System Settings: 

HP Notebook PCs - Upgrading to Windows 10

Once you are back to your original Operating System, try performing the System Recovery.  After that, do not install any programs for a few days, and see if the notebook has the same issue.  If not, load one program at a time, starting with the Anti-Virus.  Allow a day or two to pass after installing each program.  This is to verify that you do not have Malicious Software within those files.  Otherwise, the issue may continue to reoccur. 

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution, this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great day!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions, and I have been trying them for several weeks now.  I have to believe that there is a physical cause for the problem--after running for several hours some component gets stressed and all control over the system is lost.  After shutting down the machine with the power button and leaving it overnight, it works fine again for several hours.  I guess I can live with that if it doesn't get any worse, as I have 2 tablets and a chromebook to fall back on if I don't need Windows.  Thanks again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.