Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ZBOOK X360 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a relatively new HP ZBook x360 G5.  On a few occassions recently, when I've left the laptop with the screen at a slightly acute angle, so the screen tilted slightly forward, I noticed that the right hand upper corner of the display panel was coming away from the laptop case under the force of gravity.  When this has happened, I've pushed it back in and it seemed to stay there ok.  However, today the whole LCD panel fell out of the laptop and I found it lying on top of the keyboard.  I managed to reinsert the panel back into its housing and it appears to be undamaged and working fine, but I'm worried that its going to happen again and again and possibly cause damage to screen. 

I'm not sure how these panels are usually kept in place.  There are no obvious screws or fitting.  But whatever it is, it's not holding in the panel sufficiently on this laptop...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@atompkins 

My opinion:

Once the panel has "unstuck" it will most certainly do so again.

Tape is like that - it never "goes back" to what it was.

Maintenance and Service Guide

Page 66       Chapter 5 --- Removal and replacement procedures

The panel is stuck on with double-sided adhesive. 

I would guess it is done this way to reduce weight.

No comment.

What to do?

Not sure.

I found models for this series introduced in 2018 and some new ones just released this year.

If your computer is warranty, you can certainly ask HP Support.

Zbooks usually come with nice warranty typical of business class systems (two or three years).

What else?

There are parts you can purchase that include new adhesive for the bezel.  Would new adhesive work better than the original?  No idea.

Page 22     Chapter 3  --- Illustrated parts catalog

What else?

Purchase your own adhesive and use that - I'd only do this if the warranty on the system is expired or if you have already determined that HP Support won't cover the issue.

What else?  More tape...

If the unit cannot be sent to repair for any reason, if you don't care what it looks like for the moment, wrap some decent tape around the edges to keep the screen in place.  Properly applied, it likely won't show overly much and you are "done".   Meh.

Little tiny screws?  Watch out for wires that travel through the area.  Avoid antennas...  Hmm..

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Many roads lead to HP Support.

Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent

OR

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

Regional Links

USA / Canada

HP® Customer Support - USA

UK

HP® Customer Support - UK

OR

>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<

HP on Facebook

Warranty Check / Product Registration

• Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards

Register HP Product and Registration FAQ

• Check the Warranty on your product

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document.  Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 Convertible Workstation 

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You for the help.

If the answer helped resolve your issue, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@atompkins 

My opinion:

Once the panel has "unstuck" it will most certainly do so again.

Tape is like that - it never "goes back" to what it was.

Maintenance and Service Guide

Page 66       Chapter 5 --- Removal and replacement procedures

The panel is stuck on with double-sided adhesive. 

I would guess it is done this way to reduce weight.

No comment.

What to do?

Not sure.

I found models for this series introduced in 2018 and some new ones just released this year.

If your computer is warranty, you can certainly ask HP Support.

Zbooks usually come with nice warranty typical of business class systems (two or three years).

What else?

There are parts you can purchase that include new adhesive for the bezel.  Would new adhesive work better than the original?  No idea.

Page 22     Chapter 3  --- Illustrated parts catalog

What else?

Purchase your own adhesive and use that - I'd only do this if the warranty on the system is expired or if you have already determined that HP Support won't cover the issue.

What else?  More tape...

If the unit cannot be sent to repair for any reason, if you don't care what it looks like for the moment, wrap some decent tape around the edges to keep the screen in place.  Properly applied, it likely won't show overly much and you are "done".   Meh.

Little tiny screws?  Watch out for wires that travel through the area.  Avoid antennas...  Hmm..

HP Technical Support – Contact Information

Submit information / case online

Sign in or continue as a guest

Many roads lead to HP Support.

Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent

OR

Open website  HP World-Wide Support

Select your region and follow the prompts

OR

Regional Links

USA / Canada

HP® Customer Support - USA

UK

HP® Customer Support - UK

OR

>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<

HP on Facebook

Warranty Check / Product Registration

• Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards

Register HP Product and Registration FAQ

• Check the Warranty on your product

Warranty Check – Single or Multiple Devices

NOTE:  If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to

check single or multiple devices.

• If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
  • Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
  • Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
  • Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
  • Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
  • When the page opens, Click View Details

NOTE: The online database results do not impact the actual contract.

Warranty Dispute

Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.

HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)

Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document.  Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts / Procedures), Product Information (Specifications)...

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ZBook Studio x360 G5 Convertible Workstation 

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi Dragon-Fur - Thanks for the reply.  It is still well within warranty and so I'll give them a ring and see what they can do for me.  It's just fallen out again, so seems to be getting progressively less "sticky"!

Odd that they rely on not-very-sticky-sticky-tape in a high end machine like this! 

Really appreciate the detailed reply!

HP Recommended

@atompkins 

You are welcome.

Tape is not all equal.  That said, I would guess that any tape that must be able to relinquish its hold for maintenance won't be as strong as an adhesive used to permanently bond.

I would guess it seemed like a good idea at the time - using tape does save parts (tiny screws), added weight, and complexity.  Meh.

Good Luck.

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.