Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Omen
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I know I should have contactde HP earlier, but I honestly thought my works PC was alow spec. and not working correctly. Now I don't have any support, can someone else help me?

The specification for my laptop is a screen resoltion of 1920x1080. When used withou an extrenal screen connceted it won't aloow me tyo select any other resolution than 1280x720. However, when I connect another display using the HDMI or vidoe connector  in dual display mode, the laptop adopts the same display resolution as the external screen eg 1920x1080, so I know it is capable of displaying this resolution, but not on its own. I would like some assistance in how I can get the laptop to display 1920x1080 when used on its own.

Also, I have noticed a bug with the display. If I use the video port through a device that converts to vga and I shoutdown the laptop before disconnceting, then the next time I start the laptop the screen is blank. I have to connect to another display using the video port to get the laptop screen back on then  make sure I pull the lead out before shutting down my laptop.

Will I need to purchase another laptop as this one has never worked or is there a fix?

Thanks in anticipation for any advice you can give me that HP will not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No just 1024x768

I'll buy a Dell!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

If it works with an external display connected, then make the change while the external is connected.  Right click on an empty place of the desktop and then pick Screen Resolution.  Set the 1920x1080 and the apply.  Make sure the correct screen is chosen before setting the resolution.

See if that helps.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

That's the problem!

The screen reolution can be changed whenever I connect an external screen. I have used the laptop connected to many external displays, and each time it can be set to the to the resolution of the connected display. I currently use it with a Dell at 1920x1600 which works fine, unitl I disconncet it. So if I want the laptop to be at 1920x1080 resolution, I have to connect it to a screen of this resolution. When I disconnect the laptop it returns to its defualt resoluon of 1024x768 and won't let me change it.. As it is not reasonable to carry an external screen with me at all times, I would like the laptop to show its advertised screen resolution of 1920x1080.

Also, if I connect using the video port, I have to make sure I disconnect this before turning off the laptop, or else the screen will power up blank. To resolve this I have to connect another screeen to the laptop video port and suddenly it displays again. 

There is no video setting apart from 1024x768 in the screen resolution options whenever the laptop is running on its own.

HP Recommended

That type of behavior normally would indicate the natural display resolution is not 1920x1080.  When trying to change the resolution without the external display connected,it should show what resolutions are available for the natural display.  Post the full model number of this Omen so its capabilities can be examined.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

S/N 8CG51301MT

P/N K2V86EA#ABU

M/N 15-5000naIC:1000M-726ONG

HP Recommended

You are correct.  The natural display setting is 1920 x 1080 as stated on the SUPPORT PAGE.

Without an external display connected, right click on an empty spot on the desktop and pick "Display Settings".  THen when the next screen opens, pick the "Advanced display settings".  In the box stating the present recommended setting, click on that to display the available settings.  Is 1920 x 1080 available?

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

No just 1024x768

I'll buy a Dell!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.