Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 new 13-w0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a way to reduce the sensitivity of the touch pad slightly. I've found that I have to just barely touch the pad to scroll and any pressure at all causes it to select whatever is under the cursor. I've been using a MacBook Air for the last four years and never had this issue.

Also is it possible to turn the touch screen touch off? I find that I like using the keyboard better. If you try and hold the laptop in your hand, it's natural to grab it by the hinged area and your thumb naturally touches the screen, which causes the menu to pop up. Certainly I'm learning not to do this but if I could turn off the touch screen touch in laptop mode, it would be nice.

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Greetings @LVegas

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are looking to reduce the touchpad sensitivity and disable the touchscreen. Happy to help.

Would it be possible to provide the product number of your computer?

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Recommend you to refer to this HP Article for assistance in changing the settings for the touchpad. 

To disable touchscreen, open device manager by doing a right-click on the Windows button.

Expand Human Interface Devices and disable touchscreen. 

To learn more about Windows 10 refer to this Microsoft page.

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The page you referred me to is a for a different version of the touch software as what's on mine is completely different . My product Id is W9A93AV Spectre 13-w0XX.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and providing the product details. Though the touchpad settings in your computer look different, the procedure would be the same. Try this article and check if you can customize the touchpad to your requirements. 

If the issue persists, recommend you to share a screenshot the touchpad settings on your computer for me to be able to guide you in this regard or contact our phone support as they can take a remote of your computer and check the touchpad settings for you. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm am almost ready to believe that my touch pad is possessed!

I've got the Smart Sense setting at maximum but the touch pad is driving me crazy, I'm about ready to go back to my MBA.

When I'm browsing a news channel like Google or Yahoo news, I use two finger scrolling to scroll the page up and down. What happens is that with the lightest touch, i will suddenly find that some link under my fingers get selected and now I have a unwanted window to close. I didn't click anything as it's pretty obvious when you actually click the touch pad.

I really like the computer except the touch pad is driving me crazy. As long as I'm not browsing a news channel, everything works pretty good. I've applied all of the HP updates and windows updates.

HP Recommended

Hi@LVegas

Thanks for the super quick reply. Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

Here, it seems to be an issue with the touchpad.

I recommend you to contact phone support for available service options.

Use the link below to get in touch with them.

Technical support link: www.hp.com/contacthp

If you wish to say thanks for my effort to help, click the "Thumbs up" to give me a "Kudos" and also please mark it as “Accepted Solution” if this helps.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I think I've finally discovered the cause/solution and am now trying to tweek my settings. In the Pointer settings there is a Sensitivity setting which doesn't have a check box in front of it and I initially assumed was related to the two checkboxed items below it.

But I discovered if I clicked on Sensitivity there is a "gear" setting button and if you click on that you can adjust the Touch Sensitivity. Currently I'm two clicks to the heavier side of default, which seems to have mostly eliminated my touch problems.

Still more work to confirm that this fixed the problem but appears to be a step in the right direction. An expanded help topic on touch pads would be useful.

HP Recommended

Hi@LVegas

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've pretty well maxed out the touch pad settings and still cannot get rid of the palm touch issue.

When using Microsoft Word for example, when you are typing and accidently touch the touch pad with the palm of your hand, the cursor will typically jump up a ways and now you're typing in the middle of another sentence without any warning.

My 4 year old Acer ultrabook had this problem and I had hoped that it would be solved by now. For the last 4 years I've used a MacBook Air and have never experienced the same issues with it that I have with my HP. I love the computer but when typing it is really frustrating.

Also I purchased a 3 year warranty plan but that doesn't seem to give me any additional help unless I drop my laptop in the toilet. As best as I can tell any phone call ends up with a directive to go to the website and beyond the forum, which is already free, I don't see what I've gained by purchasing a warranty that cost me close to 30% of the new product cost.

I apologize for being frustrated but every reviewer rates this laptop as the best of 2017 but it seems to fall down in my opinion.

HP Recommended

Best of luck in trying to resolve this problem.  It's extremely frustrating, and makes an otherwise excellent laptop almost impossible to use.  I purchased my Spectre  in the early summer (I've owned a long line of HP laptops) and was really disappointed by my inability to comfortably use the touchpad.  I broached the topic here, and got replies similar to the ones you're seeing from HP support staff (very pleasant and relatively quick responses, with no real solution suggestions). I gave up after a few weeks.

The computer is very fast, reasonably priced, and beautifully designed.  That said, I would not recommend it to friends, simply because of the awful touchpad.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.