Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I agree and I even went so far as to have HP replace the entire touchpad itself which they assured me would fix the problem. I got the computer back after about three weeks and it is exactly the same.

When you use it with a mouse it works perfectly but the touchpad is terrible. I've got all of the settings on the touchpad pretty much maxed out to try and minimize the ghost touches. Turning all of the touch settings makes the computer difficult to use but does cut down on the touchpad just deciding to do something on its own.

I have a three year warranty on the laptop but based upon the lack of success from my previous repairs after assurances that HP knew what the problem was, I'm hesitant to send it off for repair since I use it every day. If a new Macbook Air is ever released, I will probably throw this one into the garbage.

HP Recommended

agree totally here - i have the sensitivity at low, but even lightly brushing the touchpad acts as a left click and whatever was under the cursor at the time is selected. Making it very hard to actually do things with what otherwise seems a good computer (other than windows 10, but that's another matter)

HP Recommended

I have HP Envy 13 with Ubuntu and I need to say the  I'm expiriencing exactly the same problem on both Ubuntu and native Windows 10. There is now way to calibrate this settings. Such a bummer every time I touch it .

HP Recommended

My best advice is to go into the advanced touch pad settings and move everything almost to the right side of the setting. Make the touch pad as insensitive as you can and still have it functional.

What I don't understand is that my MacBook Air has never had any of these problems and I don't understand why Windows can't be set up the same way?

I've even had my touchpad replaced, which technical support assured me would fix the problem, but it didn't!

HP Recommended

I resolved the issue on my HP Spectre 13--- by going into Touchpad Settings, Additional Settings, Clickpad Settings.  De-select Clicking.  I also have Tapping Selected, but De-selected all of its subcategories.  However, I think Clicking alone was the source of the problem.  I did not have to reduce sensitivity after making these changes. 

HP Recommended

With clicking disabled, what do you use to select (left-button function) or choosing options (right-button)?

HP Recommended

Tapping is turned on.  You should be able to single tap, double tap and double tap drag. 

I did have to turn two finger tap back on in order to get the pop-up menus, I have left three and four finger taps off.  However, I still think the bug is in the clicking feature so one's probably safe turning on all the tap functions.  With clicking off I haven't had any strange scrolling behavior or the random link selecting I had previously.

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I'll give it a try.

The problem with the touchpad is that the "innovative" minds at HP decided to get rid of the segregated areas for the traditional mouse functions (right-click and left-click).  I've owned a long series of HP laptops, and they've all been great computers except for some particular "innovative" feature that the interface engineers decided woul be cool (obviously without testing with actual users).

HP Recommended

Same problem here with a brand new HP Spectre 15" X360.

Bought 6 months ago and right from the start on I had the troubles.

Coming from a Macbook and having a HP workstation laptop at work I have to say this touchpad is basically unusable.

Driving all sensing filters to the max (low sensitivity, sliders to the very right) I find it acceptable but still very poor.

At first I thought it was the fault of Windows 10's photo app but it turns out not! It just becomes extremely obvious that there's a problem when you are scrolling along images that are all responding to tapping (which you don't do in fact, so we should call it ghost-tapping).

However, thanks LVegas for opening the thread and HP you NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS! You are turning away masses of customers who won't even bother to tell you about how annoyed they are.

HP Recommended

I agree and with the 3-year warranty I spent around $2,000 for that mistake. Plus the fact that it cost me another $1,000 to buy a MacBook Air to fix the problem. Now I'm back on a Mac and life is good except for the big hole in my wallet!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.