Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15m-dr0012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, My touchpad started behaving badly a few days ago. Here are the relevant specs:

BIOS F.19

Win 10 64 bit 19045.4170

Synaptics Precision Touchpad Filter Driver 19.5.35.57   7/2/2020 (device manager says this is most current version)

If I boot into BIOS the touchpad works without problems. So it could be a driver issue.

In Windows, at medium sensitivity, the left half of the touchpad still works.

Increasing the sensitivity causes problems with unintentional selection of icons.

Also at medium sensitivity, using more finger pressure on the right half of the touchpad causes

movement, but the movement is erratic and jumpy.

I  visited the HP driver site and for an Envy x360  15m-dr0xxx and Windows 10, the following drivers are listed:

Windows 10 versions 1903,1909,2004,20H2, and one unknown.

Nowhere do I see a driver for 22H2. I tried 20H2 and unknown, but device manager reported

that I had the most current version. Does a newer driver exist (newer than 7/2/2020)?

I had run Windows Update on 3/31/24 without error. I also updated the BIOS later.

Thoughts???

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Here's a document from HP Support about troubleshooting touchpad issues and it includes a video:

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/ish_7166540-7166585-16

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Wood,

I already consulted this doc. It was no help.

HP Recommended

I got around to using my Linux Mint installation on the same machine.

I installed the "Synaptics" driver for Mint and it somewhat works; better than

the Win 10 installation with its problems. The Mint installation also behaves with

functional left half and a problematic right half. If this is a hardware issue, why

does the touchpad work perfectly in the BIOS?

HP Recommended

You have a valid question -- but I don't know.  I would have guessed it was a driver issue, but you say the issue repeats in Linux and that has very different drivers than Windows.  It's very unlikely that the two very different drivers have the same issue.

HP Recommended

I think I found a potential problem,

HP Support Assistant says I'm current at BIOS F.19.

The driver page for Windows 10 (no specified version) has a download

for F.21! Which is it? This comes back to the driver page not having

an entry for 22H2. Who is a BIOS expert?

HP Recommended

The "SynTPEnhService" is associated with Synaptics TouchPad enhancements. It is a service that comes with the driver software for Synaptics TouchPads, which are commonly used in various laptop models, including HP Spectres. This service is responsible for additional features beyond standard pointer movements and clicks, such as gesture recognition, scrolling, swiping, and other touchpad enhancements.

To address the issues, FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTION FIRST, AND IF THIS DOES NOT WORK FOR YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION THEN REFER TO ALL STEPS UNDER "STEP 1" WITHIN THE ATTACHED IMAGES, BUT ONLY AFTER TRYING THIS FIRST, BECAUSE IT RESOLVED MY SPECIFIC SITUATION :

1. Click  "SynTPEnhService" in the list from the Services app (`services.msc`).
2. Then, click "Stop" within SynTPEnhService page.
3. Finally, click "Start" within SynTPEnhService page.

PAGE 1/2PAGE 1/2

PAGE 2/2PAGE 2/2

HP Recommended

I add that ALL the Win 10 drivers on the HP driver page list F.21 as the

most recent BIOS version. I think there is a problem with the

HP Support Assistant.

HP Recommended

Another thought,

Does the Support Assistant filter out "buggy" BIOS updates. Is

that why it only reports F.19?

HP Recommended

My guess is it does not filter out any BIOS updates; otherwise, we would not be getting reports here of folks installing BIOS updates only to have their PCs corrupted in the process.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.