Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ61
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
After upgrading to Windows 10 from Windows 7 the Synaptics PS/2 touchpad no longer has scolling ability. I have tried vertical and horizontal, as well as 1 and 2 finger. The touch pad is enabled and scolling is enabled. The current driver is 19.0.12.98 which was updated by windows update. I have downloaded and installed 19.0.19.1 from the Synaptics website and it didn't work. I have tried the Windows 8 driver from Synaptics as well and had no luck (failed to install even in compatibility mode). The original Compaq Windows 7 driver wouldn't work either. Unable to find any solution by searching or reading the forums. Any help is appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello @lancecyles,

Welcome back to the HP Forums!

I understand that the scroll feature on your touchpad is no longer working after your Compaq Presario CQ61 was upgraded to Windows 10. I would like to help you resolve this issue.

Please begin troubleshooting with a hard reset. Next, follow the touchpad troubleshooting document:

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

For more specific information please provide the whole product number.

Finding Your HP Product Number

I look forward to your reply! If this information is useful, click the thumbs up.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
I did a hard reset and that didn't work. The symptoms are the same as before.
HP Recommended

Hello @lancecycles,

Thank you for the reply!

Give the steps from this document a try: 

HP Notebook PCs - Using the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 10)

For more information, please provide the full product number.

I will await your reply!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
That document didn't provide any solutions. Scolling, one and two finger scrolling are enabled.
HP Recommended

Hello @lancecycles,

Please provide the product number so I can look up the correct touchpad drivers or alternate drivers that will make that feature work.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
CQ61-411wm
HP Recommended

Hello @lancecycles,

Thank you for the information!

Use these steps to update the driver:

Updating the touchpad drivers
1. Download the file from this site: Synaptics' Resources
2. Click the Windows key + R
3. Type devmgmt.msc and then click OK
4. Click the view tab, then on hidden devices
5. Click on the little + beside "Mice and other pointing devices"
6. Right-click on the Synaptics installed deivce, then click properties
7. Go to the Driver tab
8. Click on Update Driver
9. Select the option that says Browse my computer for driver software
10. The file will be located at C:\SWSetup\Synaptics_v19_0_19_1 The path will be: Computer OS (C: ) SWSETUP Synaptics_v19_0_19_1 (Make sure the check box called Include subfolders is checked)
11. Click Next
12. Reboot the computer

If the feature is still not working, you may have to revert to the previous operating system as there isn't any tested Windows 10 drivers for this notebook yet.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My HP mouse is the worst functioning device I have ever encountered. No amount of software adjustment provides smooth operation. It resizes the screen at will and jumps all over the place. It's infuriating, and the online tech support during the warranty period did NOTHING to fix it. The fact is I could barely understand what they were saying as the support is clearly sourced overseas.

The HP is a lousy device, I have been tempted to smash it with a hammer on numerous occasions. In fact once I replace it (very soon) it will be smashed with vigor. Shame on HP and their useless laptops, never again HP. You deserved Carly and anything else that damages your corporate structure. Carvana may claim "they didn't suck" but every day with a HP priduct certainly does.

HP Recommended

Hello @H201615,

I have brought the issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-to-check-your-messages/t...

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.