Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I am having trouble connecting my second monitor to my hp spectre x360 using a thunderbolt 3 to display port cable.

Product number: 7MQ42AV

Second monitor: Acer CB281HK

The cable: https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-uni-Thunderbolt-Compatible-More-Gray/dp/B07CL31FR6?th=1

I have tried restarting both the pc and the monitor, different thunderbolt to display port cables and adapters, and I have updated my drivers. The cable I linked was working perfectly yesterday. Today I just get no signal on my monitor. I was able to get it working yesterday by manually selecting display port on the monitor but that no longer works. I can connect to the monitor fine using an HDMI cable and the monitor worked perfectly on my old laptop using a mini display port to display port cable. Any help is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Philip336

Thank you for the update.

According to the failure code, the issue with the USB port.

I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Philip336 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Thunderbolt 3 and second monitor issue.

Have you tried with a different cables?

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Please click the below link to download the thunderbolt drivers.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp102001-102500/sp102295.exe

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi, my computer is up to date on all of its updates and drivers. I believe the cable is not the issue as I had the same problem using another thunderbolt to display port cable, which is what led me to buying the cable I have now. I have done some testing with different laptops and monitors.

The hp spectre does not output video to the acer monitor through the thunderbolt port. It does output video through the thunderbolt port to a Dell monitor. The Dell xps 15 does output video through the thunderbolt port to the acer monitor and the Dell monitor with no issues. The same cable was used with both laptops and monitors.

Windows does recognize that the acer is connected to the spectre, but does not output video to it.  It sometimes works after unplugging and plugging in the HDMI and thunderbolt 3 to display port cables but I am unable to replicate it with any consistency.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@Philip336

I understand your concerns.

Please perform the USB port test and let us know.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose USB and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

I just ran the USB port check and it failed surprisingly. The 24 digit code is: GXLDXX-A8JA8Q-MFPU3F-8D5K03. The second to last digit may be an O instead of a zero. While it did fail I can connect an external drive to the thunderbolt port and it works fine, so its not 100% broken at least.

Edit:

I am also not 100% convinced it is the port on the laptop. It worked fine when connected to the Dell monitor and I just used an HDMI to display port adapter, which gives a cable not connected screen.

Another edit:

I tested the laptop with the Dell monitor again and it worked every time I plugged it in. I also plugged it into an older Dell monitor and got a no display port signal message.

HP Recommended

@Philip336

Thank you for the update.

According to the failure code, the issue with the USB port.

I would suggets you conatct our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

Will do. Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

@Philip336

You are most welcome.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.