Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

I have spent 2 unsuccessful days chatting with HP (guy said he’d call me back to follow up and never did...)  over this issue which rendered my laptop unusable in the most stressful week of uni assignments, exams and deadlines 🙃

Basically, ill I’ll be working on my laptop and out of no where the touch screen will flicker, change the tab, open/close apps, randomly flick to Cortana and jump the cursor away from where I am typing.

The guy from HP installed a bunch of updates remotely and I’ve rused out the possibility it is a virus, however after trawling these forums the only solution I’ve found is to TURN OFF MY TOUCHSCREEN in device manager???

i am seriously annoyed and frustrated by this, I PAID for a touchscreen laptop and the only way that I can use it is if I disable its selling point feature?? I can not afford to fork out a few more grand for a new one if more issues persist - especially seeing as it’s less than 18months old!

WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE any solutions other than this, or if anyone has encountered a similar issue and had better luck with HP support...

Many thanks,

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

@isi1234,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

While you respond to that, I recommend you perform a test on the touchscreen and let me know the result.

Here is how it is done.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  4. Click Fast Test.
  5. Click Run once.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component are shown on the screen.

1. If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) so you have it available when you contact HP Customer Support. The information is also available in Test Logs on the main menu.

If no system component failed, run the Quick Test.

If the diagnostics are not available when using the F2 menu, run the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics from a USB drive. To download the latest version of the diagnostics, go to the HP Hardware Diagnostics website. For instructions, see Testing from an external USB device.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @The_Fossette ,

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
    • I noticed the flickering after I ran all of the suggested HP updates about 2 weeks ago
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer, Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
    • No, and the only troubleshooting that has been performed was done by the guy from HP who remotely accessed my computer. I am not entirely sure of what he did, but from what I could see it looked like he was checking for any driver updates in device manager and running some diagnostic tests

I have run both the fast and the quick tests, both of which returned all pass results.

Many thanks,

HP Recommended

@isi1234,

Thanks for the reply,

It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 

I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

Could you please help me with the exact model name or product number to assist you better.

Follow the below steps to boot into BIOS page.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS

Check if the issue persists in the BIOS Page.

If the Touch screen is not flickering in BIOS.

Use the HP Support Assistant and update the BIOS and the Graphics using this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467905

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hi Raj,

Thank you for your reply.

I have performed the steps you suggested with a HP engineer, still no luck...

from all the forums rums I have seen recently, the only way I can stop it is to continue using the computer with a disabled touchscreen.

according to others with the same issue, the touchscreen computer is not compatible with the windows 10 updates or the issue is a result of a manufacturing or hardware fault. I’m concerned that if it is the latter it will be a very costly exercise for me to fix seeing as the warranty only covers 1yr, if it does come to having to pay to fix it out of warranty I may as well go and buy a new laptop that works...

see this youtube video for a perfect illustration of what my screen is going through :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfsQd9ZLqRg

Many thanks,

isabelle

HP Recommended

@isi1234

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

This seems to be a hardware issue.

I am sending you a private message. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have the similar issue with my laptop as well. I have switched off the driver but I really want to resolve this

HP Recommended

Hey @Racks_79, 

I have tried dozens of suggested 'fixes' from HP with no luck other than to just keep the driver disabled....

The last advice I was given by HP was to back up my stuff, wipe my computer and restore it and that didnt work either.

I keep on top of all of my updates, have antivirus software downloaded and I look after my laptop, so I am really annoyed that after less that 2yrs of use a main selling point for me (the touchscreen) is useless. 

Keen to try anything to fix this, however I am amdist my final years of study and really cant risk losing docs/going without a computer for extended periods of time. So far I have been dealing with the problem by disabling the driver for 5 months....

Let me know if you manage to fix it!

HP Recommended

HI

I am facing same issue. Can someone help?

HP Recommended

@pjohn1
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers?
  • Have you checked the display on an external monitor?
  • What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting, 

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.