Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17-ce1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hardware ID = ACPI\SYN328D

Product Number = 8DV35AV

Serial Number = [edited]

Windows 10 x64 1909

I spoke with/chatted with support who were completely clueless. The drivers available on the website do not work. The HP Support Assistant utility literally detected nothing (I assume because this is a comet lake laptop and it is too new).

When using the available SP98519, I can edit the install.cmd file, which eliminates the unsupported Windows version error message, but the driver does not install. Instead, I just have the Windows generic "PS/2 Compatible Mouse". This is on a clean installation of Windows 10 x64 1909 Home. Being a clean installation, I do not have a system restore point to fall back to. It would be nice to have a working touchpad on a brand new laptop...

EDIT - Just to be thorough, I ran the bootable UEFI diagnostic "Mouse/Touchpad Test" to make sure the hardware was working correctly. The touchpad passed the Pointer Test and Component Test. So it is just a driver issue on a brand new laptop.

Day 7 Update - I want to make something clear so everyone understands my situation. 

1. HP ships my laptop a week later than promised, offered a $50 credit to my order that never happened (in writing no less), and never provided tracking for my laptop shipment.

2. I reformatted my brand new laptop on first boot. I do this with all new laptops I own and work on

3. Quickly realized that HP does not have a working touchpad driver for this laptop available. This means that either the touchpad wasn't functional in Windows on HP's original installation of Windows or that HP was using a driver no publicly available. Either way, this isn't good thing.

4. After hours of support phone calls to try to find some who could even understand the issue. I was told explicitly that HP only has what is on the website or what is available via HP Support Assistant and that I was out of luck on getting a working driver. They told me to post on the HP Community forum as someone should have an answer for me here.

5. It has been 7 days and nobody has even bothered to comment.

I'm not sure what else to do. I contacted Synaptics directly who referred me back to HP. HP only has outsourced tech support in the Philippines and India, including the "tier 2" support that demanded payment before they would do anything. I guess my next steps are filing an FTC complaint and filing a complaint with my state's attorney general unless someone has a better idea? I even tried finding a corporate phone number or even an email address for executive management to reach out to, but HP hides everything from the public.

01/20/2020 Update - Mod PM'd: "Creating post{s) with 'bump' do not increase or improve your chances that the HP Support Community will respond to your inquiry.  I regret that no one has offered any solutions yet and thank you for your patience.   Please review the Rules of Participation so that you understand the community and can set your expectations accordingly." Still no responses in the thread or PMs with any helpful information. 

01/24/2020 Update

You did it, HP, you wore me down. After:

• Hours on the phone with a dozen or so support agents and "supervisors" (all from foreign countries)
  • Weeks of waiting for a coherent response to my detailed thread
  • Multiple PMs from HP employees who still don't understand the issue
  • Multiple days of back and forth with HP's Twitter support team who also don't understand the issue

I'm done. Clearly posting the correct driver for a computer/device is beyond the technical capabilities of a multi-billion dollar company. I won't make the mistake of trusting HP for anything ever again. I hope that others will see this and heed my warning.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You did it, HP, you wore me down. After:

• Hours on the phone with a dozen or so support agents and "supervisors" (all from foreign countries)
  • Weeks of waiting for a coherent response to my detailed thread
  • Multiple PMs from HP employees who still don't understand the issue
  • Multiple days of back and forth with HP's Twitter support team who also don't understand the issue

I'm done. Clearly posting the correct driver for a computer/device is beyond the technical capabilities of a multi-billion dollar company. I won't make the mistake of trusting HP for anything ever again. I hope that others will see this and heed my warning.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

bump

HP Recommended

bump

HP Recommended

bump

HP Recommended

bump.....

HP Recommended

this is getting ridiculous 

HP Recommended

Wow, got a PM from an "HP Employee" who clearly you didn't read my post or do any actual research other than copying and pasting the model code into HP's support page. The only driver available is SP98519 and it does not work. I literally spelled this out in my post.

HP is continually proving to me that they do not care about their customers, their experience, or providing working hardware.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, i even downgraded to Windows 1903 and the driver on the support page just doesnt work, i believe there is no solution for this by the moment, what a shame

HP Recommended

I'll keep bumping this post every day. Unfortunately, I can't divine working drivers. It is HP's responsibility to provide them. I have given them all of the information they need to look into this issue. There is nothing else an end-user can do in this case.

I'm glad you were able to find this thread. I'm sorry you are in the same boat. I have a feeling more people will find their way to this thread over the coming weeks.

HP Recommended

Hello again, i managed to fix this issue, i got everything working now, i reinstalled a clean 1903 version of Windows 10 Home and plugged in the ethernet cable since it had no WiFi driver, windows installed some device drivers from the internet and the touchpad suddendly started working, Windows update also did some kind of pre-installation of support assistant but in a Windows Store Version that got enabled when i tried to install the traditional .Exe from HP, this one actually detected a lot of the missing drivers and installed them all, i attach picture as proofimg1.pngimg2.pngimg3.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.