Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 - 15m-bp012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy x360 that I bought in 2017. For a while now, it's been giving me issues with the touchpad. Sometimes I use it and it's fine, but at random times, the touchpad / cursor starts moving around rapidly on the screen and clicking everything. It messes up everything I've been working on, and I literally have to force the PC to shut down in order for it to stop. It almost feels like the computer is possessed.

Other times, the cursor completely disappears and I can't use the touchpad at all. I can use the touchscreen, but the touchpad appears to be disabled. Then at random times, the cursor will reappear while I'm working on something and I'm able to use it again.

I've tried numerous times to update the touchpad driver to the latest version, but it hasn't seemed to help. I am currently using the Synaptics SMBus ClickPad driver version 19.5.35.50 (11/19/2019). 

I'm to the point where I almost want to reformat the computer or buy a new one, since this is so irritating. I've never had something like this happen to previous PCs I've owned. Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@2017envy Welcome to HP Community!

I understand you are having an issue with the mouse cursor jumps all over the screen.

Don't worry I'll try my best to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

· Does this happen only with the browser such as Internet Explorer, Chrome (if yes, which browser are you using)?

· Have you made any recent updates to your computer, software or hardware related?

· When was the last time it worked fine (date)?

Check the Mouse options under control panel:

Start → Control Panel → Mouse → Buttons tab. Check the box labeled "Use MS Office compatible scroll only." Also, check the box below labeled "Scroll in active window only."

Attempt using an alternate/external mouse.

Uninstall and reinstall the drivers for your mouse:

Go to the Device Manager and select your mouse. Uninstall it and then restart your computer. During restart, your mouse driver will automatically be reinstalled.

· 1. Click on Start and type ‘Device Manager’.

· 2. Click Device Manager.

· 3. Click + sign next to Mouse.

· 4. Right-click on mouse entry and choose "uninstall".

· 5. Restart your computer.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hi Praveen196,

Thanks for the response! Here are my replies to your inquiries:

- This issue happens when any application is open, not just web browsers. I use Chrome regularly.

- Updates I've made are only the typical Windows 10 updates received from Microsoft.

- I've been having issues with the touchpad since 2018, but I've been able to remedy it by using an external mouse. However, I am no longer able to use my external mouse either, as nothing happens when I plug it in. 😞

I checked the mouse control options, but I don't seem to have the option to check those items on the Buttons tab. So I was unable to try that solution.

I tried uninstalling the driver from the device manager, and I rebooted the PC, but nothing happened either. The touchpad still acts erratic at random times.

I am very frustrated and I'm not sure what else to do. 😞 Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

@2017envy

I understand your concerns.

In that case, I would suggest you perform the system reset and check.

If the issue still persists, Perform the system recovery

Note: Performing the recovery you will lose the data and installed application.

Please take the backup before performing the recovery.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.