Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m7-k010dx Notebook PC

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, my touchscreen stopped working.

It does not even show up in UEFI test mode under components.

The device driver is grayed out and says its not connected.

I have checked services and start and stopped it, but still nothing

I am aware that Win 10 changes a vew things but, the screen does not respond to touch at all.

Please help..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

Thanks for reaching out!  A very Good day to you!Smiley Happy  I read the post about touchscreen issues after a windows 10 update. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you. Smiley Happy

You’ve done a commendable job by describing the situation correctly. Kudos to you on that score.Smiley Happy You are an important customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly value your relationship with HP and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check in device manager if the Human Interface device driver for the touchscreen is listed after the windows 10 update?
  • Did you try to update the bios?
  • Did you check in the bios if the touchscreen works?

For starters, to isolate the issue to not being hardware related, please check the touchscreen in the bios. Steps to got to bios:

please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.

• It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.

Try the touchscreen in the bios to see if the options change or the computer beeps. If the options don’t change or the computer doesn’t beep, then the issue is hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced by contacting HP phone support.

If it beeps in bios or the touchscreen works in bios, please perform these steps:

Please check in device manager if the HID device is installed correctly.

Then update the bios, chipset and display drivers from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/7182778/model/7146403

Then check again if the issue gets resolved. If it does not, please follow this link for troubleshooting touchscreen related issues: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/7182778/model/7146403/document/c03...

Please select the most appropriate option that best describes your situation.

If it works, you could download the latest UEFI diagnostics from the same link.

Then check if the issue gets resolved. As a last resort please roll back windows to its previous version if nothing works from this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-recover-a-previ...

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care and do have a fabulous weekend. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

Thanks for reaching out!  A very Good day to you!Smiley Happy  I read the post about touchscreen issues after a windows 10 update. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you. Smiley Happy

You’ve done a commendable job by describing the situation correctly. Kudos to you on that score.Smiley Happy You are an important customer and it is paramount to assist you here. We greatly value your relationship with HP and I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this.

• Did you check in device manager if the Human Interface device driver for the touchscreen is listed after the windows 10 update?
  • Did you try to update the bios?
  • Did you check in the bios if the touchscreen works?

For starters, to isolate the issue to not being hardware related, please check the touchscreen in the bios. Steps to got to bios:

please keep tapping the Esc key gently several times as soon as you power on the computer.

• It takes you to the startup menu.
  • Then press the F10 key to go the bios.

Try the touchscreen in the bios to see if the options change or the computer beeps. If the options don’t change or the computer doesn’t beep, then the issue is hardware related and the computer needs to be serviced by contacting HP phone support.

If it beeps in bios or the touchscreen works in bios, please perform these steps:

Please check in device manager if the HID device is installed correctly.

Then update the bios, chipset and display drivers from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/7182778/model/7146403

Then check again if the issue gets resolved. If it does not, please follow this link for troubleshooting touchscreen related issues: http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-m7-Notebook-PC-series/7182778/model/7146403/document/c03...

Please select the most appropriate option that best describes your situation.

If it works, you could download the latest UEFI diagnostics from the same link.

Then check if the issue gets resolved. As a last resort please roll back windows to its previous version if nothing works from this link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-recover-a-previ...

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care and do have a fabulous weekend. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I dont see you answer to my question..

HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

I reviewed the post and was drafting my response before this happened. Please go back to the post and check again. 

I will always be there to assist you. I hope the post is useful and the issue gets resolved without hassles.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

Take care and do have a fabulous weekend. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,

First my laptop warrenty is expired.

2nd the the touch screen doesnt been in the bios, and does not respond when I touch the screen.

HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Thanks for the super quick reply. Please perform the steps in the post like updating the bios, chipset and display drivers. Some computers may not respond in the bios when you touch the screen. Some computers beep when the touchscreen is touched in the bios.

Does your computer beep?

If it does then there is no cause for concern. Even otherwise, please follow the steps in the document for touchscreen issues relevant to your computer.

Another way of determining if the touchscreen works correctly is to check in the recovery partition.

To do this please perform these steps: 

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “
  • Navigate in the recovery manager and check if the touchscreen works.

If it works in recovery manager, then please follow the steps in the document for touchscreens relevant to your situation. Also, update the bios, chipset and display drivers.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am a little confused..

How does typing int he command prompt let me know if the the touchscreen is working.

Also I dont get any beep when I touch the screen.

Reid

HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

I read the quick response. Please do not go to the command prompt.

Please follow these steps and check if the touchscreen works in recovery manager. Do not perform a system recovery yet.

• Power down the unit. When you power it back up, immediately tap the F11 key gently several times.
  • It takes you to recovery manager. Here please select the option “Troubleshoot”. Then please select “Advanced options “ 
  • Navigate in the recovery manager and check if the touchscreen works.
  • The first set of commands in the previous post to visit the command prompt can be ignored. 
  • You just need to check the functionality of the touchscreen in the recovery manager.

If it works fine, please update the bios,chipset and display drivers and check again. 

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. I'm always there to assist you. Please reach out anytime. Smiley Happy

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

David,

There is no touch response  in the recovery manager.

Reid

HP Recommended

Hi @ramiles,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Excellent troubleshooting. stupendous diagnosis of the issue. :). Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

If it does not work in recovery manager or bios then the issue could be a hardware issue with the touchscreen. As a last resort, roll back to the previous windows build and check again. If this does not work, please contact Hp phone support to get the unit serviced.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number, Case number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you. Otherwise, support will be fee-based.

I genuinely hope the issue gets fixed with the roll back and the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. 🙂

Trust me I've done everything here to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. 🙂 You've  been absolutely superb to work with, by displaying great technical skills. 🙂 I thank you again for your time. It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.