Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 – 11-p080no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I have recently reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch. After doing this the touch screen no longer responds. The touch screen worked fine until this point, and when going into the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI" diagnostics it is working fine in the tests. My best guess is that is is a matter of loading the correct driver, but when  looking at https://support.hp.com/dk-da/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-x360-11-p000-convertible-pc/7439377/model... I see nothing looking like a touchscreen driver. Can you provide any guidance on what to try?

Kind regards

Mads

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@kfbahrt,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that the touchscreen is not working after a fresh install of Windows.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

The touchscreen uses the Windows HID drivers. I recommend you make sure all the Windows updates are installed on the computer including optional updates.

Here is how it is done.

Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Windows Update. Click Check for updates to prompt your PC to scan for the latest updates. The update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Click Restart Now to restart your PC and complete the installation process.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the steps in the below article.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I reviewed your post and I understand that the touchscreen is not working after a fresh install of Windows.

Correct.

The touchscreen uses the Windows HID drivers.

OK, thanks for the Info.

I recommend you make sure all the Windows updates are installed on the computer including optional updates. Here is how it is done. Open the Settings menu and go to Update & security > Windows Update. Click Check for updates to prompt your PC to scan for the latest updates. The update will be downloaded and installed automatically. Click Restart Now to restart your PC and complete the installation process.

I have followed these steps without finding any updates besides the  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517389/windows-10-update-kb4517389 update, which didn't solve this problem.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the steps in the below article. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03488148

OK, I will do that:

Step 1: Confirm the computer has a touch screen

When opening the "View pen and touch info" menu it reads: "No pen or touch input is available for this display". According to the guide, this should mean that it is not present.

Still, before the reinstall the touch screen was working flawlessly in Windows 10. Also, as described in my first post, when testing in  the "HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI tests" tool it still works flawlessly in that mode.

Step 2: Enable and reinstall the touch screen driver in Device Manager

When opening the Device Manager no touch screen device is listed. To complicate matters a bit, I am using an originally  Danish windows installation. This means that even when switching to English to simplify following your instructions, the listed devices have kept their original Danish names in an otherwise English user interface. To enable you to understand what is going on, I have copy-pasted the equivalent devices from the guide that I am following (the one you referred to).

My device mangager (screenshot):

HID.png

As you can see above, nothing resembling a touch screen is present in the device list. I have been through the other categories of devices to see if I can find anything resembling a touch screen without any succes.

Step 3: Configure the touch display

I find nothing when searching for "Calibrate the screen for pen and touch input". I assume it is a consequence of the touch display not being detected.

Step 4: Install Windows updates

As described above, I have tried this without any improvements.

Step 5: Perform a touch screen diagnostic test in HP Hardware Diagnostics

As  (also) described above, I have performed this test with the touch screen working without any problems.

Step 6: Adjust the power management settings for your touch screen

I could not complete this step, as the touch screen is not present in the device list (as determined in Step 2)

Step 7: Perform a hard reset (notebook PCs) or full shutdown and restart (All-in-One PCs)

I have tried performing a full shutdown and start, without any improvements.

Step 8: Update the BIOS and graphics driver

I have updated the BIOS to version F.07 Rev.A by appying sp79881.exe found on https://support.hp.com/dk-da/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-x360-11-p000-convertible-pc/7439377/model...

I have updated the graphics adapter driver to 10.18.10.4252 by applying sp72330.exe found on https://support.hp.com/dk-da/drivers/selfservice/hp-stream-x360-11-p000-convertible-pc/7439377/model...

As for the display device itself it is showing up as a "Standard Pnp Skærm"  which I assume translates into a "Standard PnP Display" in a fully English-language windows installation. I have tried searching for an updated driver, but it doesn't find any better drivers.

Step 9: Reset your computer

I am reluctant to do this as it is a freshly installed PC. I am of course ready to try this if you think it makes sense after

Step 10: Perform a Microsoft System Restore

As the disk have been completely wiped since the last time the touch screen worked in Windows 10 I see no point in using the Microsoft System Restore functionality, since

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

I have tried to list my results above.

My "main suspect" at the moment is the lack of a "HID-compliant touch screen" in the "Human Interface Devices" section of the Device Manager. Could it be that the touch screen is currently listed as the "Standard PnP Skærm" (=Standard PnP Display) in the "Monitors" section is the touch screen running with the wrong driver? If so, how can it be forced to detect it as the proper type of display?

Do you have any other ideas?

Have a great day too.

HP Recommended

@kfbahrt,

Thank you for the detailed response.

I recommend you go to device Manager and click View and select Show Hidden Devices. Check whether the touchscreen driver is present there and enabled it.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.