Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-eb0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there,

Trying to work with Dell U2913WM as a second monitor.

Getting an error: The current input timing is not supported by the monitor display. Please change your input timing to 2560x1080 @ 60HZ or any other monitor listed timing as per monitor  specifications

monitor_error.jpg

Symptoms:

• Was able to make it working. Worked for 2 min and then flashed an error, got that behaviour 3-5 times. Can't make it working for a longer period. Win10 shows 60Hz and correct resolution in Display Settings
  • Mouse can go beyond the main laptop screen showing that Windows can recognise the monitor
  • Monitors shows black screen sometimes - a led shows it is on and no extra messages on the monitor
  • There are no resolutions can be displayed on the monitor (1980;1024;800)
  • When entering/exiting from screensaver the monitor flashes/blinks for 1-3 times

The monitor works perfectly well with my old laptop (Acer Aspire 5 on GeForce GT 640M)

Troubleshooting steps completed:

• Win10, Nvidia, Intel drivers (latest OEM) are updated to latest
  • Installed Dell monitor drivers and DDM from here. Monitor is visible
  • Hard monitor/laptop reset
  • Rebooted laptop/monitor multiple times
  • Tried different HDMI cables
  • Installing DirectX 10 doesn't help (seen couple of posts on Dell forum)
  • Downgrading drivers to May 2020 release for Nvidia solved the issue for some time. Next morning - got the same issue

Dell Display Manager.png

win_settings.png

Any suggestions and recommendations are welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi there,

Found the solution

Solution: Go to NVIDIA Control Panel> Change Resolution> Customise> Add 2560*1080, 60HZ and most important switch timing from Automatic to ANY type. I've picked up the "CVT reduced blank", seems the latest and best standard. (details: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_change_the_t...) Test>Ok>Choose new resolution and Apply!

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@larine

I reviewed your post and I understand that the external monitor is not working on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I see that you have already followed all the relevant steps. I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks @The_Fosette.

Unfortunately, HP website can't complete driver check for last 30 min. I've tried it multiple times and for different regions.

larine_0-1599505931780.png

Also, HP Support Centre app says that I'm good.

larine_1-1599506074881.png

Not sure what is going on.

My colleague gave me usb-c-to-hdmi adaptor. That allows me to run the monitor on 1980*1080 resolution.

Also i can force 2560*1080  via Nvidia Control Centre but the picture us blurry.

Native hdmi-to-hdmi can't get me into 1980 even, but win10 shows 2560*1080 as recommended for that monitor

I can see that Intel drive update software shows me that there is an update but not sure if i should go for updating OEM drivers.

larine_2-1599506648009.pnglarine_3-1599506685818.png

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Found the solution

Solution: Go to NVIDIA Control Panel> Change Resolution> Customise> Add 2560*1080, 60HZ and most important switch timing from Automatic to ANY type. I've picked up the "CVT reduced blank", seems the latest and best standard. (details: https://www.nvidia.com/content/Control-Panel-Help/vLatest/en-us/mergedProjects/nvdsp/To_change_the_t...) Test>Ok>Choose new resolution and Apply!

HP Recommended

@larine

We are happy to hear that you have resolved the issue.

In the future, if you have any other concerns. 

Please get back to us. We will assist you.

Have a  nice day!!

HP Recommended

Hi -

I have the same issue, but my NVIDIA Control Panel does not have an option for custom resolution. I also cannot find a way to find out if I have the current version. 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Hey,

The version of NVIDIA Control Panel you can check here:

larine_1-1600517089503.png

Mine is 

larine_2-1600517112859.png

Do you have something like that?

larine_0-1600517027303.png

HP Recommended

I don't see any images, but this what my NVIDIA control panel looks like:

2020-09-19_9-59-37.jpg

Note that the external monitor works great when plugged into my work issues HP Elitebook 1030 (and just has Intel graphics drivers). So it is not a monitor issue.

HP Recommended

OK,

seems Windows can't recognise your external monitor at all.

Do you see second screen in Display Settings in Windows?

HP Recommended

No - it's recognized. Just looks distorted at full resolution. Recommended resolution has doesn't fill full height of monitor and is still distorted. 

2020-09-20_17-17-31.jpg2020-09-20_17-18-07.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.