Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 13t laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Envy 13t laptop USB-C port quit working with Targus 410 docking station after 1 year.   Have already confirmed the following:  WIndows update, uninstalled USB root hub in Device Manger, re-installed Targus drivers, System Restore, Auslogics utility - last two gave limited fix - external dock KP, mouse, audio   would work for a little while - but after unplugging USB-C cable, dock not connected when re-attached.     ALso tried connecting MOTO Z3 to USB-C port - not detected.

Any tips?     Would like to try installing latest HP USB-C driver, can anyone share link to that?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @robert911s

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the  "USB-C port" issue. 

Have you tried connecting other devices to the port?

While you respond to that - try the suggested steps-

1. remove ALL the USB devices from your HP laptop.
  2. Power off your laptop and disconnect it from power supplies.
  3. Insert ALL the USB devices
  4. Restart your PC.

Change power management settings for USB Root Hubs

1. On the keyboard of the target computer, press the Windows logo key and R at the same time, then copy & paste devmgmt.msc into the box and click OK.

2. Double-click on Universal Serial Bus controllers >  the first item of USB Root Hub

3. CLICK the box before Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power whether it’s checked or unchecked. Then click OK

4. Repeat this fix for ALL the USB Root Hubs on your Device Manager.

5. Reconnect your USB devices to the USB ports

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Hi Jay, thank you for the tips, but USB-C port still not recognizing anything plugged in.

Have tried two Targus 410 docks, Moto Z3 phone, swapped USB-C cables, Win system updates, Disabled & Uninstalled USB items in device manager.

Have also tried all tips here:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/My-USB-Type-C-port-not-working...

On occasion, I can get external dock's KB, mouse, and CAT5 to work over USB-C, but never the display or charging.

I fear some part of the USB-C port is blown, when I attached the USB-C cable while on battery.

Can you provide proper USB-C port driver download?    Any utility to test the USB-C port?

HP Recommended

HP computers with Windows come with HP Support Assistant (HPSA) installed. HP Support Assistant can be used to automatically find and install the latest updates for your computer.

NOTE: 

HP regularly makes updates to HP Support Assistant. To download and install the latest version, go to the HP Support Assistant website.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Support Assistant.

2. On the My devices tab, find your computer, and then click Updates.

3. Click Check for updates and messages to get the latest updates.

4. Wait while Support Assistant works.

5. If new updates are available, click the checkbox next to each update, and then click Download and install.

6. When HP Support Assistant finishes, close the tool.

Also , Install all the available Windows updates

If you are accessing Windows 10, then these steps are for you.

1. Hit the Start menu and write an update. After that, click on the “Check for updates” option.
  2. Tap on the “Check for updates” option.
  3. After clicking on that option, Windows will install the updates automatically.

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Hi, performed all HPSA tune-up, optimizations, op sys checks, HW diag tests - no issues, all passed.

Performed WIN updates.   HPSA doesn't test USB ports, nor offer USB port drivers.   Who can provide USB-C port driver?

Still No display or charging working from dock to USB-C port.   [KB/Mouse/CAT5/Audio is working with dock]

Moto Z3 phone will not connect to laptop at USB-C port.

HP Recommended

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.