Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 Convertible 15-Ch0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Lines have started appearing on my Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx.  They are most noticeable when a light window projects on top of a darker background. They follow the lighter window outline and extend to the top of the screen.

The lines/ghosting does not appear on an external monitor connected via HDMI.  I have updated bios and all drivers with no success.

While searching the forum I have found that this appears to be a common problem with the Spectre X360.  My unit is out of warranty this year and there doesn't appear to be any way to contact HP service without a current warranty.  Is HP doing anything about this common defect?  Has anyone found a solution or been able to contact HP to fix this problem or are we on our own after the warranty period?

Thanks for your help.

Notice lines/light area from top of window to top of screenNotice lines/light area from top of window to top of screen

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@wsack1

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• When was the last time it worked without these issues?
  • Have you updated Graphics and Chipset drivers?
  • Have you checked the display on an external monitor?

Let’s try these steps to resolve the problem:

I recommend you attempt to access the BIOS screen by tapping on F10 while the computer is restarting, 

If the issue persists in the BIOS screen which is outside windows, it would confirm a hardware failure.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
  • This is my daughter's laptop and she started seeing the problem about a month ago when she was at college. 
  • I have updated the bios and all drivers to the latest version.  
  • The problem does not appear on an external monitor.

The problem does not appear on the BIOS screen, however, the BIOS does not have the type of image that would seem to exhibit the problem (a light window on a dark background).  From prior posts, this problem seems fairly common and there does not seem to be a software/driver fix for it.  The following post describes the problem and links to many posts with similar issues.

Vertical Lines on my HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-ch0xx - HP Support Community - 7536258

I'm wondering if this is a known hardware issue with the Spectre x360 15" display hardware.

HP Recommended

@wsack1

I recommend you contact support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from and I will send you the contact details.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The unit is out of warranty earlier this year, so I have been unable to contact HP support in any way.  This has really not been a great experience.  Seems like there should be a way to contact HP support to at least discuss an issue after the warranty expires.  Especially something like this that appears to be a common issue with this laptop.

I dropped off the laptop at a local computer repair shop today before I received this message.  I'll update this post after they get back to me on what needs to be repaired.

HP Recommended

@wsack1

Thank you for the update.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take Care!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Just wanted to provide the community with an update on this:

My local repair shop looked at the laptop and first assumed that it was a software issue.  They refreshed the OS and the problem still exists.  They then did a completely new OS install and the problem still exists.  At this point, they assumed that it must be the display.

So, they ordered a new display, replaced it, but the problem still exists.  They have now concluded that it must be the motherboard.  Unfortunately, they do not do motherboard replacements, so I'm back to square one. 

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue.  Have you made any headway on the vertical lines issue?  What's strange is that sometimes I have the lines and at others it seems to be back to normal.  I have noticed that it sometimes accelerates the issue when my son plays Minecraft on the computer.   I've done all of the Bios Updates and Window Updates.  Wondering if anyone has found a viable resolution?  It should be criminal for companies to make computers and not have resolutions to issues that pop on a computer that's only a few years old...I'm happy to pay an HP professional for the repair but I don't even think they know how to fix it.

Thanks for any help ...

HP Recommended

I noticed that it looks better when the computer hasn't been used for a while and then gets worse during use.  It's also only noticeable on certain backgrounds especially grays.

I've installed a fresh copy of the OS to a blank disk and the problem is still there.  So it is not software or drivers.

My local repair shop replaced the entire display and that did not help.

They've concluded that it must be the motherboard, but they don't do those kind of repairs.  There doesn't seem to be a way to contact HP if you are out of warrantee.  It's very frustrating.

My daughter needed to go back to school and took the computer with her as it's still useable.  So I'm going to have to wait a few months to try to get this repaired.

HP Recommended

So the only workaround that mostlybseems to work at this point is changing the refresh rate to 40Hz from 60Hz.  It still flickers when I restart the computer or power down and back up again but I've figured out how to get it back even when I can't see the screen through the crazy amounts of flickering.  Press the windows 🪟 key + I (the letter i) and that opens up settings ..go to display and advanced settings and then change the refresh rate back and forth until the flickering stops and sometimes I close and openthe computerabout 5 times and that works to stop it...what a cluster

I've followed all of the fixes I've seen on message boards and still no real solutions to fix it but at least so far the lines and flickering is gone for now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.