Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0086ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I want to know for sure - What color depth (6-bit or 8-bit) does my laptop display? (Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0086ur)

I look in Options - Advanced display options. It says that the bit width is 6 bits. But it seems to me that this cannot be. Something may have broken after the recent Windows update. Please provide me with exact information on my particular model

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@MishaPrivalov In the Control Panel window, click Appearance and Themes, and then click Display. In the Display Properties window, click the Settings tab. Click to select the color depth you want from the drop-down menu under Colors. Click Apply and then click OK.

I'm afraid we don't have that level of details at the HP product specification page

Although, The amount of color matters to those that do professional work on graphics. For these people, the amount of color that displays on the screen is significant. The average consumer won't need this level of color representation by their monitor. As a result, it probably doesn't matter. People using their displays for video games or watching videos will likely not care about the number of colors rendered by the LCD but by the speed at which it can be displayed. As a result, it is best to determine your needs and base your purchase on those criteria.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't have a "Display" item in the Control Panel. I have another way: I right click on the desktop -> Display options -> Advanced display options. And I see information about the color depth - 6 bits. When the screen displays any gradient color, I see a stepped transition (not smooth). I didn't notice this before, so I think it could be software related.
AND YES! I use this laptop for graphics! How could I know about screen color depth ?! They don't write about this anywhere. I chose by color gamut (here 100% sRGB or 72% NTSC).
I can't find information anywhere and I only hope for official support! I want to know for sure what color depth is in my display. Please ask someone. The laptop is still under warranty. Maybe I should take the laptop in for repair before it's too late. Or wait for Windows updates or graphics card updates. I want to know the color depth. I have no one else to ask. Sorry for my English. Please help me very much. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@MishaPrivalov I've looked everywhere including the Maintenance and service guide for your device: click here to verify, and I'm afraid the information isn't available on it either, that said, the best way forward in my opinion, is to discuss the details with the phone support team, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have contacted tech support twice in the last few months. And twice you can't fix my problem by sending me a phone call to support. I'm from Russia. The laptop is still under warranty.

HP Recommended

@MishaPrivalov I understand, that said, I've looked around a bit and here's a little something that should help:

Right click on the desktop

Select advanced display settings

And you should find the below informatoin:

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.